Corsair Community

Disabled Trim to avoid BSOD, what's next?

NacRuno

Hello,

I assembled myself a second PC recently, in which I used "Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT".

The first week of using the PC was fine but then I started seeing BSOD occasionally. It got worse and worse until I started seeing it a couple times a day. I checked these forums for a solution and initially I tried updating my firmware. It was displayed as 1.3.2 when I got the device and after the update it said update was applied successfully. But when I see the update manager I still see my firmware as 1.3.2.

Then I saw more than a couple people disabling TRIM on their OS to avoid BSOD. I tried the same and didn't see any more BSOD since I did this change about 1.5 week ago.

Now I believe I need to do manual trim for my SSD time to time not to lose any performance. I searched these forums on how to do it but couldn't reach a specific solution.

Any advice for me on how to perform manual trim? Or any ideas about firmware being stuck on 1.3.2? Or any other advice in general?

Thanks,

Nac

PS: I edited my specs on my profile and I use Windows 7 64-bit as OS.

Or any ideas about firmware being stuck on 1.3.2? Or any other advice in general?

- To which port is the SSD connected to?

- SATA controller ist set to AHCI mode in BIOS?

- Have you run the upgrade tool as Administrator?

It would be helpful if you could post your system specs in your user profile, this might help to give you a proper solution.

- To which port is the SSD connected to?

I connected it to SATA 6Gb/s connectors.

- SATA controller ist set to AHCI mode in BIOS?

I though it was AHCI but just checked BIOS settings now. It shows IDE under Integrated Peripherals >> PCH SATA Control Mode. And it only shows one control mode for me (I also have another hard-drive for data storage). Am I looking at the correct place? Is there anyway to check it through Windows? If so, I will change it to AHCI and try my update again.

- Have you run the upgrade tool as Administrator?

Yes

It would be helpful if you could post your system specs in your user profile, this might help to give you a proper solution.

I had most of the entries filled and just updated it further.

I connected it to SATA 6Gb/s connectors.

Do you know the port number? For FW upgrading it is recommended to connect the SSD to the very first SATA port (SATA3_0).

I though it was AHCI but just checked BIOS settings now. It shows IDE under Integrated Peripherals >> PCH SATA Control Mode. And it only shows one control mode for me (I also have another hard-drive for data storage). Am I looking at the correct place? Is there anyway to check it through Windows? If so, I will change it to AHCI and try my update again.

You are looking at the correct place, you will to need change it to AHCI for firmware upgrading. Before you change AHCI settings in BIOS, you will need to follow this instructions.

Do you know the port number? For FW upgrading it is recommended to connect the SSD to the very first SATA port (SATA3_0).

I believe it is in the first port but I need to check it again. Will post here as soon as I check it.

You are looking at the correct place, you will to need change it to AHCI for firmware upgrading. Before you change AHCI settings in BIOS, you will need to follow this instructions.

My PC just gave another blue screen since the last 1.5 week. After that I tried following the link and running the fix it application. It failed. Than I changed my mode to AHCI, it started giving continuous blue screens and kept restarting before logging into windows. Than I had to change the setting back to IDE. Ran the fix it program from the link again (it worked this time). And changed my mode to AHCI and ran the update. Now my firmware successfully shows as 1.3.3. I hope it will help me with my BSOD problem.

Now two questions:

1) Should I change my command mode back to IDE or not? It complains about AHCI everytime I boot my PC (says something like it is only for CD-Rom and Hard-Drive, this might take a few seconds) but opens up successfully.

2) Should I enable TRIM now that I updated my firmware from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3? Was the BSOD problem because if 1.3.2 or 1.2 firmwares? If not, how do I manually trim by SSD.

Thanks,

Nac

You should always use AHCI mode with a SSD, you'll never get the best performance from it in IDE mode. Why do you want to use IDE mode?

The message you said you see about AHCI mode being for CD-ROM and Hard Drives is odd, although I'm sure they mean SSDs when they say Hard Drives. It sounds like it is loading the AHCI driver on every boot, which does not make sense, it should be loaded once and that's it. Something is weird there, check that message again if you can.

You should try enabling TRIM and see if you are BSOD-free with it. So disabling TRIM really helped in stopping BSODs?

Was the firmware causing the BSOD? Who knows? The only manual TRIM tools I know of are provided by a few SSD manufactures, and only work on their SSDs. Corsair is not one of them.

1) Like parsec told, leave it to AHCI. When do you get the error message, while BIOS POST or when loading Windows?

2) TRIM should be enabled.

The BSODs could have been occured due to an old firmware. If you look at the changelog for 1.3.3, you will see that it fixes some issues regarding to BSODs.

If your problem still exists after upgrading the FW, it is recommended to SecureErase the drive, clear the CMOS and do a clean Win 7 installation (in this order). Personally, I would do this now and do not wait until the issue may appear again, even if the problem seems to be solved. But this decision is up to you.

Edit: Toasted was too fast!

Archived