Corsair Community

Compatibility between CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 and MSI 870S-G54

sriesch

I have the 8GB memory kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 (a pair of 4GB DDR3 sticks, http://www.corsair.com/cmx8gx3m2a1333c9.html ), in an MSI 870S-G54 motherboard (http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870S-G54.html , manual also calls it model MS-7599 as well as 870S-G54 ). Is there any reason this combination would not be compatible, or should it work?

This memory is not listed in MSI's list of tested memory, although they do list a similar kit CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 (which I DON'T have) as compatible.

Although the system does run, I am currently in the process of trying to track down a stability issue, and Memtest86+ has given me errors at least twice now in the last day of testing. I'm trying it with one stick at a time now and just waiting for results to see if I can narrow the problem down to one of the two sticks or not, but wanted to double-check here to see if I shouldn't even be trying for some reason.

The motherboard has never been overclocked, and I'm using the default memory-related settings, which Memtest indicates are currently:

666 MHz (DDR1333) / CAS : 9-9-9-24 / DDr3 (64 bits)

Thanks in advance for any compatibility yays/nays !

The folks over the MSI forums believe the memory should work fine in my motherboard. I also tried moving one of the sticks to the 3rd dimm (which I THINK means it's also using a different memory controller on the AMD Phenom II CPU too) and while it took 20 passes with Memtest86+ before I got an error, I still did get an error.

I'm going to try to RMA this memory.

For some reason the option to adjust the voltage in my BIOS appears non-editable so I can't change it at the moment, I'm looking into that.

I just got approved for the RMA, but haven't actually mailed the sticks yet; if hold onto them for a while longer to do more tests will that cause a problem in the system, or will that be ok?

I didn't write down all the test numbers that Memtest86+ failed on. However I do remember that at least some of the failures were during test #3.

It isn't just a single bad DIMM slot, since I have tested single modules in both slot 1 and slot 3. If I'm doing my research correctly (and I might be wrong here) I think the processor has two separate memory controllers, one for slots 1&2 that does dual-channel, and a second one for slots 3&4 that isn't dual channel? I don't have any architecture knowledge. Would they both memory controllers have to be bad, or is there something on the CPU that might affect both? Is there anything on the motherboard between the CPU and the DIMM slots that could affect both pairs? Not sure.

If I'm doing my research correctly (and I might be wrong here) I think the processor has two separate memory controllers, one for slots 1&2 that does dual-channel, and a second one for slots 3&4 that isn't dual channel?

Dual channel is a function of the MB and not the CPU. Your CPU has just one memory controlle.

Would they both memory controllers have to be bad, or is there something on the CPU that might affect both? Is there anything on the motherboard between the CPU and the DIMM slots that could affect both pairs? Not sure.
Corsair tests the modules on a MB before leaving the factory to be sure they are working. This is why i said it would be a MB or CPU problem and not a memory problem. It is not uncommon to get one bad stick to slip through the cracks, but getting two bad sticks out of the same box is basically impossible.

There really isn't anything user changable between the memory and MB/CPU. Just timings and voltages in your BIOS

just got approved for the RMA, but haven't actually mailed the sticks yet; if hold onto them for a while longer to do more tests will that cause a problem in the system, or will that be ok?

They expire after so many days. I believe it's 60 days. I really encourage you to do more testing before sending in the memory. Some cases are pretty cut and dry, other not so much . Yours falls into that "not so much" category. :)

For some reason the option to adjust the voltage in my BIOS appears non-editable so I can't change it at the moment, I'm looking into that.

Change DRAMM timing mode from auto to manual. That should give you control of the voltages.

I tried raising the DRAM voltage from the default to 1.63. any higher than that and my motherboard marks it as unadviseable, and since Corsair stopped testing my memory at 1.65 I assume I can't go any higher without voiding my warranty.

Unfortunately this did not appear to help. Using one stick in slot 1, within 2 hours on the 2nd pass I got an error, Tst 6, Pass 2, Failing Address 0007a56d130 - 1957.4MB, Good 40000000, Bad 40400000, Err-Bits 00400000, Count 1, Chan <blank>

• Corsair Employees

The Max memory Voltage would be 2.0 Volts for this memory module but you should not have to run them higher than 1.7 Volts on any AMD system.

And the error that you are getting would suggest it may not be the memory, normally if you have a failing module you will get consistent errors on a lower number test like 1-4 on memtest.org and more random errors like what you described on tests 5-8 would suggest some other issue like a voltage or thermal issue with the MB. Can you test the memory in a known working system and what were the exact settings you had set for both CPU and memory?

I have no available 2nd system that uses DDR3 that I can test the memory in.

which memory and CPU settings did you need? here are some:

The memory is currently at 1.63V (I'll try higher later) with a frequency of 1333MHz and is 666 MHz (DDR1333) / CAS : 9-9-9-24 / DDr3 (64 bits). The CPU (an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T) is running at 3300MHz, Core VID 1.3250V, Current Core VID 1.320 V .

I'm going to run more tests and compile a small list of the failing test and addresses.

What is command Rate set to?
1T/2T Memory timing is set to Auto. I don't know how to tell what value auto defaults to.

I'm still working on that list, I left the PC running for about 22 hours straight with the other memory stick again and haven't seen an error yet of course.

1T/2T Memory timing is set to Auto. I don't know how to tell what value auto defaults to.

In your BIOS highlight that line and hit "enter". this should show you your options for that line. They should be 1t,2t, or auto. Just choose 2t and hit enter again to set that value.

I have just completed some days-long testing with with the 2nd stick in DIMM 1 (using the default voltage) and here are the results:

Tst Pass Failing Address

6 48 000571f90cc - 1393.9MB

3 53 00053f3b0cc - 1343.2MB

3 71 0005697b0cc - 1385.4MB

3 79 000577f10cc - 1399.9MB

6 84 000570fd0cc - 1392.9MB

6 91 0005697b0cc - 1385.4MB

4 92 00052f730cc - 1403.4MB

3 93 00052f730cc - 1327.4MB

4 104 0005387f0cc - 1336.4MB

With the same stick in the same DIMM using the 2t setting I got the following already:

6 2 00056df90cc - 1389.9MB fffffffd ffffffdd 000000020

2 4 00056bf10cc - 1387.9MB ffffffff ffffffdf 000000020

Voltage was set back to defaults. I tried increasing it to about 1.7V (the closest step it could go to it) and increased the CPU's NB voltage as well. Unfortunately memtest locked up after running for a while, so it looks as though those settings won't work for me.

I'm going to proceed with the memory RMA after all and see how the replacement memory performs, then go from there.

• Corsair Employees
Memtest is designed to over come single bit failures and if its locking up I would suspect some other issue. I would suggest checking with the MB Manufacturer to be sure that MB will support the 1100T CPU the information I have found on that MB states its only up to an AMD 965 CPU.

The processor is in the list of supported processors for this motherboard ( http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870S-G54.html#?div=CPUSupport ). Note that memtest only locked up once so far, and it was only when I adjusted all the voltages, it ran fine every other time, so perhaps I just picked some invalid option when I did that.

The memory has been RMAd about a week ago, so we'll see what happens when replacements arrive.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived