Corsair Community

Blown AX850 on the day of purchase?!

neborama

Hi Guys,

Since Sunday I gathered parts for my new rig, and today I just bought an Corsair AX850 brand new around 4pm (Thursday, yes TODAY!!! Sydney Australian time..) and after I installed it on my new rig, I started the beast up, played BF3 for 10 mins, went back to Windows, browsed THESE forums and POP!!!

Whole rig shuts down, non responsive. I go into Panic mode (still am) and I'm wondering if my whole system just exploded!!

After telling myself what the heck just happened I hooked up my previous Corsair HX620, luckily everything booted up fine, RAM ok, H100 working, including my 2 x 'less than one day old' 6970's!

I don't mean to troll the forums like a chicken without a head but I'm devasted...

Here's a pic of the rig about 15 mins before the AX850 blew......

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/1298/img8047.jpg

Can anyone enlighten me as to what might have happened? Is this a product fault, is it my fault?? All Modular cables/pins were plugged in correctly.

I know it wasn't a surge because my monitor and speakers run off the same power board and nor did the board trip.

I'm going to take back the AX850 to MSY tomorrow and hopefully get an RMA for this? I just cant believe this happening! I love corsair products; been using my HX620 on my old PC for ages... :[pouts:

Blown/faulty capacitors, are these covered under the 7 year warranty?

I might be one of the coils. The same happened with AX650, I checked through the grill by torch and a coil was burned.

I never heard so far anyone with AX850 blown. It makes me a bit worry, I have AX850 as well.

The USA customer support are spot on, I requested the 24 pin cable & I got it very fast.

I might be one of the coils. The same happened with AX650, I checked through the grill by torch and a coil was burned.

I never heard so far anyone with AX850 blown. It makes me a bit worry, I have AX850 as well.

The USA customer support are spot on, I requested the 24 pin cable & I got it very fast.

You could be right.

Anyways, for people who are reading this thread I've finally got some closure.

Went back to the reseller, the guy even had a reserved AX850 placed aside for me.

As he was testing my PSU he said he's had 3 x DOA/RMA AX850's in the last two months (he could be exaggerating) so I said I must be unlucky number 4.

Also it turns out all those 3 previous faulty ones were the same batch (A1W?) as is mine.

He offered the replacement straight away but the fear of another AX850 blowing up and chances of it taking my i7, 2 x GPU's and motherboared just wasn't worth it.

Ended up with an ######## HCP-850 and on the spot $30 cash back (due to price difference). So far, no problems with the ########. Touch wood...

Archived