Corsair Community

Corsair Carbide 500R with H100. Best configuration?

Hello everyone,

So I got a Corsair Carbide 500R case and a Corsair H100 water cooling system and was wondering what the best configuration for it is. Should I push air from the outside into the radiator or should I push air from the inside into the radiator? In other words, what's best:

Setup One (Push air from the inside going out)

Grill -----------------------------

Radiator ===================

Case ----------------------------

Fans ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (arrow is direction of air)

Setup Two (Push air from the outside going in)

Grill ----------------------------

Fans vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv (arrow is direction of air)

Case ---------------------------

Radiator ==================

Just wondering.

cheers,

GumbyTheBorg

If it's fitted to the top of the case, you'll want to exhaust the air from inside the case, out. If you've got fans with LEDs, you may want them visible so:

Case -------------------------

Fans ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but it may be better to do:

Case -------------------------

Fans ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless you have a proper filter for the top, you don't really want to be drawing air in that way since it'll just pull all the dust in too. You'd also be getting a weird airflow inside the case.

Hello everyone,

So I got a Corsair Carbide 500R case and a Corsair H100 water cooling system and was wondering what the best configuration for it is. Should I push air from the outside into the radiator or should I push air from the inside into the radiator? In other words, what's best:

Setup One (Push air from the inside going out)

Setup Two (Push air from the outside going in)

Grill ----------------------------

Fans vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv (arrow is direction of air)

Case ---------------------------

Radiator ==================

Just wondering.

cheers,

GumbyTheBorg

I built my new rig today using the 500R and H100 as well, and had the same question. I called Corsair and they recommended your first configuration, with the added recommendation of switching the rear 120mm fan to blow IN. So, right now, I have my H100 set up like your first configuration + the front 2 120MM, the side 200MM, and the back 120mm all blowing IN. Seems to be working well.

My CPU (2600K) is currently at 4.8ghz at 1.424v and idling at 31c. At stock settings, she was idling at 26c. Running prime 95 only gets me to the mid to upper 60s using this configuration. LinX touches low to mid 70s on 2 cores.

Hope that helps!

Justin

One thing I discovered through my night of stress testing is that the top mesh panel is a huge restriction to exhaust flow. As I was watching LinX run, and listening to the fans ramp up, I put my hand over the top and barely felt flow. I popped the mesh panel off and the rush of air was significant. All core temps immediately dropped by 5c at the lowest and 8c at the highest. As I continued to watch throughout the night, I determined that by taking the top panel off, I saved on average 6c.

So my recommendation is to leave the top panel off if you're going to run a top mounted h100 in a 500r.

• 5 months later...

I recently built mine with the radiator mounted inside the case and the two Noctua 120 PWM fans mounted on the top under the pop up cover. The fans are in extraction mode (inside air to the outside). This enables me to clean the radiator fins as needed very easily without removing anything. I have the two front fans, left side two fans,bottom fan and a fan mounted on the right side cover (for CPU/ memory cooling on the back side of the MoBo) all in fresh air in mode. The rear and radiator fans are in extraction mode, giving me a net positive pressure in the case. I added three new "DEMCiflex" magnetic filters to all the intakes and am well pleased with them.

All the fans are Noctua 120 PWM types controlled by a combination of Corsair Link cooling node and motherboard. All run well and vary according to CPU temp.

Theoretically it sounds better to have the top fans as exhaust, moving air out of the case. Air that flows over the heatfins gets heated up and you probably don't want that hot air back inside the case.

Corsair's recommendation of having the rear 120mm fan as an intake seems contrary to conventional wisdom of moving hot air out from the rear and top of the case. But it probably makes sense in a water cooled setup where you want the coolest possible air for the top mounted heatfins. This sounds good as long as you have got the airflow in the bottom part of your case sorted through other means, otherwise that could stagnate.

• 3 weeks later...

mine will arrive tomorrow. I will mount them thus

still haven't decided if I'm going to use my noctua nf-p12 or not.

I have 3 nf-p12 fans and 1 nf-s12 fan.

Haven't even fired up the system yet. CPU and H100 arrive tomorrow.

My original setup still stands, I added a complete set of `DEMCi Flex fan filters

and they have been working a treat, very easy to pull off, vacuum or brush off and slip back on. I haven't yet had to clean the facing side of the H100 radiator after almost three months, so far, so good! Dust and humidity are real killers together on electronics. Good Luck!

Archived