Corsair Community

AX750W and back up UPS

djtaylor99

Is it true that this power supply requires continuous sine wave input? I am having a problem with a PC I built where it intermittently seems to turn itself off when it is connected to the UPS (an APC XS1300). The problem does not occur whenever I run the unit on straight wall power. The APC tech is saying "high-end" power supplies will not accept the step wave input from "low end" back ups's. Does anybody know if this is true? If so, I would like to avoid buying a $600 UPS to support a power supply that is way more than I need. Does corsair have a "low end" power supply that can deal with a stepped sine wave input?

Yes, it seems to be the case with the AC waveform the typical UPS produces lately. IMO, how can the UPS manufactures expect PC PS's to accept a non-standard AC waveform. A more basic question is how the standard rectifier bridges, which convert AC into DC, function when fed a stepped waveform. What does the DC output of those rectifiers look like on an oscilloscope? The adage "garbage in, garbage out" applies in this case too. The power factor correction (PFC) circuitry must be going crazy dealing with that AC waveform.

If the APC tech made that statement, IMO that sums it up. Regarding what Corsair PS can function with those UPS, I don't know.

Thanks for the info. Needless to say, very disappointed with APC and the retail guys who sold me the power supply and the UPS at the same time (btw: that would be Frys').

I know I am not an expert but thought I was getting expert advice.

Thanks again to the forum....

Archived