Corsair Community

New SDD User, Excitement and Questions Inside...

Chronmetron

Hello Corsair Forums! I'm new here, just installed my first SSDs. Two Corsair Force GT 240 Gb in RAID 0. I'm super happy with performance right out of the gate (1000MB/s transfer speeds and 0.1 ms access time according to HD Tune).

I've already done most of the Windows 7 Tweaks/Tips mentioned in the sticky and a few not mentioned (like moving my email client downloads over to my storage drive). I disabled my page file however since I have 16GB of RAM that I'll never fill on a gaming PC. I also intend to set up a 1024 MB RAM Disk for my temp files. I do have a few questions though that I didn't see clear answers to while lurking the forums.

Questions:

1) RAID 0, lots of conflicting info on the web about TRIM and RAID 0. What's the real deal? Am I hurting my Corsair Force GTs by using them in RAID 0?

2) What about user appdata, etc? Should this be moved or is it safe to leave on C:/ ?

3) I really prefer Google Chrome, could any one suggest or point me to a thread that covers the optimal cache/temp file adjustments for Chrome?

Sorry for all the questions. SSDs are completely new to me and I just want to make sure I'm "doing it right." Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

1) TRIM will not work for drives in RAID arrays (to be clear: it will work for SSDs which are connected to a controller in RAID mode but are not member of a RAID array). Not using TRIM won't hurt your drive at all, but it could result in a decrease of performance. Some users perform a SecureErase from time to time to restore full performance. If you want to do this, be aware that you need to UN-RAID your drives beforehand.

Maybe one of the upcoming driver releases of Intel RST will support TRIM for SSDs in RAID0.

Good to know. Thank you. I'm obviously pretty happy with performance with after a clean install. I suppose I'll keep an eye on hd tune benchies and consider secure erase as well as setting specific cluster size the next time I do a fresh Windows 7 install (which I tend to do every few months).

In the meantime, 1000mb/s is over 5x the speed of what I'm used to on my old 10,000 RPM HDD RAID 0 array. If it ain't broke, amiright? As long as lack of TRIM isn't reducing the life of my drive...No worries here.

2. You can move the folders to a mechanical drive. If you leave large files in your My Documents folder or the Desktop. I would recommend you move it to the Mechanical HD.

3. Internet temp files don't usually take up a lot of space. You can use CClaener to clean your temp files or you can use the In-built Clear browsing data.

Maybe one of the upcoming driver releases of Intel RST will support TRIM for SSDs in RAID0.
So litght in tunnel and i was beliveing that it is impossible to do TRIM as your software dont know, how many ssd there are in RAID0 and so your ssd need to have it or some similar sytem inside of it self, like Corsair Performance Pro series do.:bigeyes:

Also to note, use ATTO to spec its more reliable with these and that you have allmost duble speed on start, even without TRIM you have a lot to lose, to have it work like in normal speed :biggrin:

2. Honestly, if I had 480GB of SSD space for my fast-data-access needs, I'd make sure every bit of performance sensitive data was on there for sure; especially OS components/files. Hence, I would not move anything FROM the drives. Most likely I'd move stuff TO them to keep that feeling of my system being fast and powerful. It's what you paid for, right?

Same goes for Chrome's cache (I wouldn't, however, download other files from the Internet, like P2P traffic, large HTTP/FTP downloads, directly to the drive but rather to HDD to save fragmentation levels) . And clean it out once in a while - CCleaner, as Toasted suggested, is very good for this. It's good practice, not just for SSDs.

2. Honestly, if I had 480GB of SSD space for my fast-data-access needs, I'd make sure every bit of performance sensitive data was on there for sure; especially OS components/files. Hence, I would not move anything FROM the drives. Most likely I'd move stuff TO them to keep that feeling of my system being fast and powerful. It's what you paid for, right?
Damn right, my man those drivers are so big that we dont have them even if we want them :o: ...orour stores arent were of costumers needs...

Archived