Corsair Community

Corsair H100 won't fit on Rampage IV Extreme LGA2011

Vissa

Not sure what review this is, but there is no need to remove anything from the motherboard when installing the H100.

http://www.corsair.com/blog/socket-2011-cooler-mounting-guide/

I tried to get my H100 on the backplate of origin without success. If you look at the video, it starts assembly with the X backplate. Then suddenly he said that one should use the backplate of origin, but the backplate of the Rampage is not the same shape.

Anyway my pump never functioned, the control system fan either. :[pouts::[pouts:

I will return my H100 to have another.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a long term reader and non-participant, I had to join and advise that although the H-100 was quite tight when mounted to my Rampage IV motherboard, it went on correctly and fully seated against the CPU. It went on oriented the way I desired and was very quiet. No issues.

I recently bought a H80 cooler for my socket 2011 motherboard and have the same issue as everyone. Only problem is when I applied a little force via pliers the screw snapped and now it is useless. Is there a way to get replacement screws of some sort?

• 2 weeks later...

News about a solution? I'm stuck with my H100 and I think I'm going to have to buy a cooling solution to the concurrency.:[pouts:

I've changed three H100:

first pump out off service, the second fan control off service, and the third seems to work but does not mount on my rampage. :sigh!:

I do not know what to do.:confused:

Hello,

I believe I'm in the same boat as the poster above -- does Corsair have a recommended "technique" to use when fitting the H100 to a socket 2011 motherboard? Just try to force it on an hope? Get out the pliers? I've not bought anything yet but plan to buy an Asus Sabertooth x79 with the H100 soon, and other posts indicate that this motherboard has the same misalignment issue.

Thanks!

Have you guys tried loosening the standoff first before putting the pump? This will allow all 4 screws to have a little play and see if it catches all four holes.

This is what I did, although I was/am worried about the screws going all the way into the MOBO and the thumbscrew being tight. It would only take a small amount of space to ruin my temps.

Unfortunately I spent all last night messing with my Raid drivers on my asrock extreme9 that I didn't get to run any benchmarks. :mad:

• Corsair Employee
A small amount of force would sometimes help to get all 4 holes aligned, it all really depends on the MB socket's layout which we would all assume that all 2011 sockets should be identical in physical dimensions. On some installation, we just have to change the brackets and it all went well.

This is what I did, although I was/am worried about the screws going all the way into the MOBO and the thumbscrew being tight. It would only take a small amount of space to ruin my temps.

Unfortunately I spent all last night messing with my Raid drivers on my asrock extreme9 that I didn't get to run any benchmarks. :mad:

The occasional issue with the standoff screws not being tight against the board will not happen on a socket 2011 board. The 2011 socket has threaded mounting points for the standoffs included in the socket itself, and the Corsair supplied backplate is not used. The issue you are referring to only happens on a few boards that seem to be thinner than others, and that is not a potential problem on a 2011 board. Plus the Corsair standoffs for 2011 sockets are different than those used with other CPU sockets, and the threaded stud that screws into the socket is much shorter.

"I've not bought anything yet but plan to buy an Asus Sabertooth x79 with the H100 soon, and other posts indicate that this motherboard has the same misalignment issue."

The alignment issue is not caused by the mother board, or the 2011 socket. As I said above, the 2011 socket has threaded mounting points for the CPU cooler built into the socket itself, and the spacing spec for the mounting points is a clearly stated standard, and it would be a major mistake if the socket manufactures did not follow them, as no 2011 cooler would fit. Actually, the 2011 socket's CPU cooler mounting points are more precise (and different) than on any earlier socket, so the potential for misalignment issues with CPU coolers is greater. Any rumors about boards with alignment issues are just that, rumors which we should not allow to spread.

At this point, it's clear that the issue is with some of the mounting brackets on the H-series coolers. Some of them do not provide the correct alignment on a 2011 socket. If you read through this thread, you'll see examples of that.

I had the same issue with Asus Rampage Extreme IV. I am building a custom watercooling rig, but I bought H100 to test the system and make sure I did not have any issues with any of the hardware I bought.

So H100 would just not sit on 4 posts, they just do not align with holes. After trying for a while, I ended up loosening the posts. After that it still took a bit of effort to mount H100 heatsink, but at least it became possible. I did not use Corsair's supplied X backplate for LGA 2011 as Asus representative told me H100 should mount just fine with supplied one (but honestly I do not think it would have made it any easier).

Once I fitted the H100 heatsink, I used pliers to tie loosened posts more firmly (use piece of cloth with pliers in order not to scratch anything).

Also, if possible do not do this while motherboard or radiator is mounted, makes it a hell of a lot easier.

http://i.imgur.com/9WGuG.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue with my new rampage.

After being very happy with my h100 on my 2500k i decided to put one on my 3930k as well.

Simply wont fit.

I tried putting the screw on 2 sides first but the pumps tilted and id literally hafta bend it to get it into a level enough position to try sliding it left/right/up/down to get a 3rd post. So i tried just 1 screw, same issue.

I don't own a dremel or any sort of thing to modify the bracket myself to attempt fitting.

Yes im using the right posts, i can read so don't even ask.

I'm going to try loosening the posts tomorrow morning and see if that gives me enough slack. (if that works i just hope i get 17degree idle temps like my 2500k)

If this doesn't fit still, what do you recommend doing?

You don't say ... did you try simply rotating the pump 90°? Mine would not fit on my motherboard with the Corsair name facing up (seems to be the "right" orientation) but when I rotated it 90° to the right (Corsair name facing toward the front) it went on just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try loosening the posts tomorrow morning and see if that gives me enough slack. (if that works i just hope i get 17degree idle temps like my 2500k)

17C idle temps? With a i7-3930K, even with SpeedStep enabled, achieving 17C/~63F assuming an ambient temp of ~70F, will be difficult if not impossible. My i7-2600K will dip temporarily to 19C at deep idle, but only in winter.

Then again, if ASUS is still using the CPU socket temperature reading instead of the real CPU temperature (Tcore is Intel's term) in their temp monitoring software, you'll see readings below that. Thermal radar on my ASUS P67 board is showing 15C (59F) right now, although that really is not the CPU (Tcore) temp, or any core temp. That actually varies between ~22C to ~30C at idle, 1.6GHz CPU clock with one or two cores jumping to a moderate OC of 4.2GHz, using a H60 push-pull, which IMO is pretty darn good.

I am in the basement, prolly high 50's temp's year round.

I've been jamming buckets out of the dehumidifiers because of all the rain/melt this week so its noticeably warmer, but im still only 28-30 degree's on the 2500k watching my video's on the 1 monitor and browsing on the other.

I see, you're down in the PC dungeon, that always helps with temps. I know what you mean about the dehumidifiers, and you just gave me an idea for a new CPU cooler, the anti-water cooler that will... never mind... :confused:

I had to force the 4th pole very slightly to get it to fit on my ASUS RIVE.

In regards to temps, my 3930k is @ 4.3Ghz and at idle I'm getting 31-36C across all cores, with an ambient room temp of 21C. Even with the H100's fans set at the slowest (I like the quiet), when running IntelBurnTest, CPU temp is 70C max on one core and as low as 63 on other cores (Using RealTemp).

Stock cpu clock, will obviously result in lower temps.

krashxr6t, That is a great result, particularly for your CPU and that OC. Did you use the case and other parts listed in your PC specs, or is that a completely new build? I'm wondering about what case you use and how the H100 rad is mounted, etc.

It always surprises me to see the range of results users of these coolers have, but I never understand why.

krashxr6t, That is a great result, particularly for your CPU and that OC. Did you use the case and other parts listed in your PC specs, or is that a completely new build? I'm wondering about what case you use and how the H100 rad is mounted, etc.

It always surprises me to see the range of results users of these coolers have, but I never understand why.

Updated my PC specs to the current setup.

Archived