Corsair Community

SSD issue

mctonale

having problems with 1138 drive also:

Mobo: ga-x56a-ud3r (rev 2) (drive on marvel sata 3 controller)

cpu: i7 950 (@stock +threaded +turbo boost)

memory: 3x2GB ocz 2000mhz ganged (running @1600mhz)

I bought the drive from scan a couple of months ago and have been having BSoD issues since. Not regularly enough to be a huge problem but I have registered here to see what can be done about it.

If I request a RMA will I be sent the same drive and therefore have the same problems? or a new drive that will work as expected.. not bitching about the speed but it is advertised as a 500MB/s drive and i'm lucky to get 300 on sequential read (is this normal?)

Is there likely to be a firmware update any time soon that will save me this hassle?

Are you testing the speed with ATTO?

Have you updated the firmware?

Testing with crystalDiskMark.

Not yet. As I say the problem isn't that bad (BSoD twice a week, lockup every other day) and I wouldn't want to risk making it worse. Is the latest firmware tested and know to be as/more stable with my mobo?

The SATA3/6Gb Marvell controllers bugged and in general are not very good and cannot operate the Force 3 or Force GT drives to their rated specifications. Your speed results are typical for these controllers.

So this thread isn't about the sandforce controller being bugged? A friend of mine is running the same drive on an asus u3s6 (which also has a Marvell controller) with no problems at all, speeds are the same but I'm not that worried as its still pretty fast. He has no BSoD or lockup issue.

Testing with crystalDiskMark.

Not yet. As I say the problem isn't that bad (BSoD twice a week, lockup every other day) and I wouldn't want to risk making it worse. Is the latest firmware tested and know to be as/more stable with my mobo?

So this thread isn't about the sandforce controller being bugged? A friend of mine is running the same drive on an asus u3s6 (which also has a Marvell controller) with no problems at all, speeds are the same but I'm not that worried as its still pretty fast. He has no BSoD or lockup issue.

The issues are very inconsistent across all brands of MOBOs (ASUS, Gigabyte, etc) using the Marvell controllers. Some users have better results than others. It's completely unpredictable.

My suggestion is to update to the 1.3.3 firmware if you have not already. You'll have to use the Intel ports to do this as noted in the download page and the .PDF file.

You may also want to test your drive on your friends machine if you can.

Archived