Corsair Community

H60 hold down screws have no screwdriver slots???

beekermartin

Thank you for the response.

I don't believe that tightening them finger tight is tight enough. There is very little room around the cpu socket on most mobos to tighten them enough by hand. I understand that some people might have overtightened them using a screwdriver but now I have to use vice grips to tighten them? Applying equal pressure in the proper order is extremely important to getting the lowest CPU temps. That is extremely difficult to do using just your fingers. Especially with Vreg and Northbridge heatsinks in the way.

I don't believe that tightening them finger tight is tight enough.

Luckily I have old screws with slot, so I never tried to tighten the screws by hand. But it should be tight enough. Do you have temperature values you can post here?

And maybe you can post your system specs in User Control Panel.

Those nuts were changed to strictly thumbscrews for reasons mentioned above.

But consider this (valid for Intel CPU mounting of the H60, H80, and H100), do the four mounting brackets on the pump contact the top of the threaded mother board standoffs when you mount the pump? They do on my installations (two) of these coolers. Once the brackets contact the top of the standoffs, tightening the nuts more does nothing regarding pressing the pump's copper contact plate onto the CPU. So torquing them down excessively accomplishes nothing.

• Corsair Employees
Over-torquing those thumb screws can cause a lot of failure and this is the reason why we have changed from slot screw to solid. If you are having hard time turning them due to tight spaces, a pair of long nose pliers might help but please be gentle when you tighten those screws, once it stops turning then stop and DO NOT go any further.

Thought it was a faulty lot of screws when I opend my h60 yesterday..good to know its a change,box and manual should be changed else people not on forums won't know n may thinks its a defect..lets hope I can get it tight enough will b installing it tomorrow

I understand the issue of overtightening but I still don't agree with having no screwdriver slots. I emailed Corsair and requested a set with the slots. I won't overtighten them, I promise.

It is much easier to tighten them all equally using a screwdriver. I understand that they don't have to be overly tight but using just finger pressure is difficult around Northbridge and Vreg heatsinks. Using vice grips or pliers is far from ideal since damaging the motherboard if you slip is highly possible. Having screws with slots with instructions that stress to not overtighten is the best solution.

• Corsair Employees
I understand the issue of overtightening but I still don't agree with having no screwdriver slots. I emailed Corsair and requested a set with the slots. I won't overtighten them, I promise.

Did you get a response from our customer service yet?

It's quite possible that the screws with slots are no longer available. All the current hardware/parts bags contain the slot-less thumb screws. I recently requested some parts for my H-series cooler, and the bag contained the slot-less thumb screws.

Don't forget that the customer service facility is not located at the factory in Asia, but for the US, in California. They have only what is provided to them by the factory, so they likely don't have anything different than what is available in retail channels.

I will use vice grips and deal with the screws I have if I must. I am waiting for my new mobo to arrive to install the H60 permanently. My evga x58 wouldn't post after I installed the H60. I must have bent a socket pin somehow. I tried everything but it wouldn't post. My new mobo should arrive by this weekend. I was hoping to have new screws by then but that doesn't appear to be a possibility.

Over-torquing those thumb screws can cause a lot of failure and this is the reason why we have changed from slot screw to solid. If you are having hard time turning them due to tight spaces, a pair of long nose pliers might help but please be gentle when you tighten those screws, once it stops turning then stop and DO NOT go any further.

Does this apply to the H80 as well?

I just got my H80 today. Thumbscrews had a single slot in them, as if they were meant for a flathead screwdriver. The word-less manual *shows* a screwdriver on the page.

Long story short, one of my mounting screws is now broken. I guess I need to order a new mounting kit... *sigh* Would have been nice if this thing came with better instructions.

That is the reason Corsair removed the screwdriver slots. I don't agree with removing the slots but I do agree the instructions should STRESS to not overtighten!!!! All they show is a screwdriver and which order to tighten them in. I can see why many people have broken the brackets if they don't have experience installing a cpu cooler. I have installed so many I've lost count but for many people this is their first time installing a cooler like this. The instuctions should state that the screwdriver slots are only for snugging down the screws if your fingers can't tighten them well because of lack of room. That's my $.02!

All the previous aftermarket coolers I've used have been screw-tightened very hard. I don't know why you wouldn't want a cooler to be attached tightly. I don't think "lack of experience" has much to do with it.

I apologize if I offended you. I didn't mean to. I just meant that I can see how someone could easily over tighten them since the instructions are severly lacking.

I will say that CPU coolers, like the H series, don't need to be extremely tight. I like them more than finger tight so they don't loosen up over time but not much tighter than that. Most very large air coolers have stronger brackets because the coolers themselves are very heavy and require more torque to keep them in place. The H series pump/cooler assembly is very light and doesn't require as much pressure.

If you're able to look closely at the pump brackets, when inserted through the threaded portion of the mother board standoffs, once they are screwed down a fair amount, the brackets contact the wider, unthreaded area of the standoffs. Once that contact is made, further tightening of the thumbscrews does nothing, zero, zip, nada, regarding creating more pressure on the CPU. The pump and brackets will no longer move.

If the brackets were not touching the top of the standoffs, further tightening of the thumbscrews would be relatively easy. I've mounted the H60, H80, and H100 series coolers on socket 1366, and 1155 CPUs, and in both cases, the brackets contact the top of the standoffs.

Yes, a slot in the thumbscrews is convenient for screwing them in, but there is no need to torque them down when the pump can't move anymore.

If the mounting screws that come with the H80 no longer feature slots in them, then the installation documentation that comes with the product needs to be revised to reflect that. As of right now, the diagrams on the installation foldout shows a screwdriver and four thumbscrews, all with slots, being tightended as you would when installing a wheel on a car (cross-tightening fashion).

I'll be honest, it threw me for a loop too, as I was certain I received the wrong thumbscrews for the two H80's I purchased.

Archived