Corsair Community

Problem with HX520W

Marrus

I recently upgraded the hard drives in my DIY PC when the old hard drive started to fail. The details of my build are in my profile.

I replaced the old 1.5 TB Seagate with two 60 GB Adata SSDs in RAID 0 for the system drive and one 2 TB WD drive for the data drive.

As part of my upgrade, I did a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 and installed all of the available Windows updates and the latest drivers and firmware for my MB (including Intel RAID drivers) and video card.

Shortly after completing my upgrade, my system started crashing. After rebooting from a crash, the system usually could not find the first SSD drive in the RAID until I turned the PSU off and back on. The would usually happen between 12 and 24 hours of the last time.

I tried several things in my attempts to get my RAID configuration stable (including shutting down any and all overclocking as the very first step, which I kept off during my subsequent testing), but none of them worked. During my testing to see what the problem might be, I disconnected my optical drive and noticed that the frequency of crashes seemed to go down a bit, but it didn't eliminate the problem.

I thought that maybe one of the SSDs in my pair might be bad, so I tried reinstalling onto just one SSD with no RAID. I still got the crashes, but less frequently (about every two or three days at this point).

Then I tried disconnecting the optical drive again. Since I did that, I haven't had any crashes.

Finally a stable system. Yay!

Unfortunately, I now have a nice SSD sitting here collecting dust and I am unable to use my DVD drive.

Based on the above, I believe that my problem is due to a power drop in my HX520W PSU. I would like some other opinions to confirm my belief or give me other possible culprits for my problem.

If people do agree that the PSU is the problem, do the above symptoms qualify for a warranty repair or replacement? I believe I am still within my 5 year warranty.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any assistance or advice will be appreciated.

Regards,

M.

I doubt that a drop in power is the cause of your problems. A HDD won't use more than about 10 Watts, and SSDs use less than half of that, usually much less. SSDs only use the 5V rail, so have not added any new stress on the 12V rail.

IMO, your issues sound like the problems that some SSDs have, disappearing and freezing the PC. Does your mother board have the "Gigabyte SATA" interface? Did you move your optical drive to a different SATA interface? The Gigabyte SATA interface is known to be a very poor performer, and may cause other issues.

What chipset and SATA interfaces does your board have, and where are your drives connected?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 (rev. 1.0), which uses an Intel® P35 + ICH9R Chipset.

I had heard that the Gigabyte SATA ports didn't work well, so I did not try to use those ports at any time.

I currently have one SSD connected to SATAII0 and the HDD connected to SATAII4, with AHCI/RAID disabled.

The manual has a diagram of the motherboard including SATA port layout on page 7.

My optical drive is not currently connected at all.

With just the SSD and HDD in, my PC is stable.

When I had the optical drive in, I was getting crashes every two or three days. This was with AHCI disabled.

When I had the second SSD in (and RAID enabled), my crashes were more frequent.

And when I had all four drives in (2x SSD, 1x HDD, 1x Optical) my crashes were the most frequent.

Is there some way I can determine if the problem is with the SSDs? Is it a known issue with specific SSDs or something that happens with all SSDs?

how about installing the os to the seperate mechanical drive and leaving both ssd drives and the optical drive attached and installed? then if the crashes still happen start disconnecting them working from the ssd's to be the first to get disconnected, just something i would try if i was starting to suspect my psu tbh, and it rules out or rules in the ssd's causing issues :)

Archived