Corsair Community

Recovering Data from the dead

him_dox

K, so my f60 died really recently after only like 2-3 months. And im hoping to get a refund given it took until now for me to realize that the series has 'timebomb' firmware.

Thing is, prior to giving it up i want to get some data. Only a few small files that im sure aren't corrupted. The drive has about 30 seconds of life then it dissapears.Its not enough to boot up the OS completely, (windows 7 64bit) it gets to the bit where the window image is complete then hangs for a while.

Anyway, i tried updating the firmware and if i unplug/plug the power in the back of the harddrive i can get it detected by the firmware updater but it doesnt get enough time to complete.My point is that if i plug in the hardrive it has a 20-30 second window of useability. So heres the question.

1. Is there any way for me to use that 30 second window to grab those files. Windows explorer doesn't pick it up i don't think but is there any other program or trick i could use to browse the HD or extract the files?

2. And this is a long shot but does anyone else have this problem, can anyone help to fix it?

please and thank you.

If you have another computer you might be able to use a USB to SATA converter and retrieve your files.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/jR0x14eZ91Po3JSo0JQ2Qr4pqGXMWYRUHFeid5eE4_fpeWi8UXz_qFSrk1bI8xmMCuW2eOMm0xUcn3gNpisw6etNQrVVLyqa86N3VnLfcCCCz2NHEpLP-wSUFqA53dHBBLEeEWKitj7zcag8T13-TAyVR16pwm4UexJMOqaUxuNgPB0hFs5B5tcNEtCNcy7X0-5DRP4cJxyUndAbmWgOtsSP7cXt_XmG4Jr1KSlr6xz081SVqjqvBv8iVgAPCYptW1Ja61bgY1U-FA-7YXm2dnqAJ9bih6cygL9iiIJTvQuOwG8luhDva7x735ZVcZ4wKpvBtAdvS2qohA

"it gets to the bit where the window image is complete then hangs for a while."

Will it just continue to sit there physically hung until you shut the machine down? If that is the case, this looks more like you have a serious corruption issue rather than a dead drive. Have you tried booting from the DVD drive (setting BIOS to boot from that drive first) with the Windows Install DVD in the drive and then tried to run a repair install of Windows?

its stays hung for a very long time, atleast 10 minutes. It bluescreened once but i think that was a result of me screwing with the power button.

Even if it was corruption how would that result in the drive dissapearing?

I tried the repair function, without the CD. It asks me every time i turn it on.

The repair runs long enough to gather the files needed and start up but fails to repair

Archived