Corsair Community

Computer restarting issues

TheLaughingMan

I have 2 Corsair GT Series 120GB in a RAID 0 for my boot drive.

The problem I am having is that whenever I press the shutdown button on my computer and restart it again using the power button, my computer will not start up until about 1 to 2 hours after I pressed the shutdown button. If I press the power button before that, the screen will go through POST but will just completely shut off sometime in the middle of it.

I think the problem has to do something with my boot drive specified above and some settings in the BIOS maybe, but really I'm just taking some guesses. For my boot drive I have them both set to RAID obviously and I believe they are version 1.2 firmware as bought them around 10/10. I would like to avoid updating to 1.3.3 because that would be a lot of work since they are in a RAID.

One more thing, how do you check what version firmware you have from the computer (not going to BIOS)?

The specs of my computer are listed on my profile.

The problem I am having is that whenever I press the shutdown button on my computer and restart it again using the power button, my computer will not start up until about 1 to 2 hours after I pressed the shutdown button. If I press the power button before that, the screen will go through POST but will just completely shut off sometime in the middle of it.

This behavior seems to me untypical as an SSD related issue, but I may be wrong. If there is a problem with your SSDs, BIOS will show a failure message regarding the drives. Your PC shouldn't turn off itself. I guess this problem could be related to your PSU. You may want to try the following:

- Shutdown you PC and unplug power cable from PSU

- Wait ~10-15 minutes and plug power cable to PSU

- Start your PC and see if you can boot to Windows

- Try a different PSU

I would like to avoid updating to 1.3.3 because that would be a lot of work since they are in a RAID.

If you make a backup image of your working OS, you can reduce the necessary work to a minimum. You can upgrade the firmware either with Hiren's Boot CD (Mini Windows XP Live CD; may work) or via repair console from Windows 7 x32 DVD (will work). After that you should perform a SecureErase with PartedMagic.

One more thing, how do you check what version firmware you have from the computer (not going to BIOS)?

You can do this with CrystalDiskInfo, but afaik this won't work with drives in a RAID array.

After experiencing this issue again last night, I think it really might be a PSU issue because sometimes it turns off before even POST. What may be it is that maybe my backup battery cannot handle everything that is plugged into it. I have my desktop, 2 monitors, my laptop, 5.1 speakers, and an alarm clock which all goes into one outlet. I believe I got it back in 2007 because thats what a little sticky says on it. I'm going to keep my PC plugged in directly to the other outlet I have and see whether the problem happens again.

What free software would you recommend for performing a backup image of my OS?

What free software would you recommend for performing a backup image of my OS?

I use Acronis True Image Home 2012 for backup operations and would recommend this. But if you don't want to buy it, you can use a 30-day-trial.

You can download a free version of Paragon Backup & Recovery, but I never tried this and I don't know if this software supports SSDs.

I use Acronis True Image Home 2012 for backup operations and would recommend this. But if you don't want to buy it, you can use a 30-day-trial.

Except not all functions work in the trial as I found out the other day. Wanted to do a hardware independent restore and that was not available in the trial (it strips an existing image of windows of its hardware specific drivers, so it will boot on different hardware once it is restored)

Except not all functions work in the trial as I found out the other day. Wanted to do a hardware independent restore and that was not available in the trial (it strips an existing image of windows of its hardware specific drivers, so it will boot on different hardware once it is restored)

If I recall, that feature is even in the Plus pack, which you have to purchase separately from the main product itself...

Archived