Corsair Community

SSD Maintenance

the_dutchable

I was doing some researching and reading on the net regarding Windows 7 and SSD's, tweaks to be done to Windows 7, etc.

I came accross one, where they adviced to use Wiper.exe on a regular basis to basically wipe all the data off the unused secotrs. The advice was for SSD's runnig in IDE mode to do this 2 or 3 times per week and the ones set in AHCI to do this every time you start a session, in other words at each start up of windows, even a couple of times during the session. It seems to me this slows the start up procedure down and contradicts the purpose of having a SSD, namely SPEED.

What are your thought on this? Is it adviceable to use Wiper.exe in the first place? If so, how often?

One other thing I came accross is to idle the computer on the logon screen for a couple of hours each week for "Garbage Collection". The reason was to recover the drive and free up space TRIM has not been able to deal with.

Again, what are your thoughts on this? Is this true for the SSD's of today?

Will these two things improve speed? Are they necessary for the drive's maintenance?

OMG, are things like that really out there? The wiper usage is absolute nonsense, and only serves to add more writes to your SSD and reduce it's life. The IDE or AHCI mode thing makes no sense at all, TRIM works in either mode.

The login screen garbage collection thing is also worthless, you can accomplish the same thing by just walking away from your PC when it is on. GC in SSD firmware tends to become active when the SSD is not in use, but that can happen any time. Doing that won't hurt anything at least and may not be utterly worthless like the wiper thing is, besides wasting electricity and normal wear usage of all PC parts while the PC is on doing nothing. If a SSDs GC takes hours to do, it's a bad product.

We really need to step way back from this fear of wearing out SSDs, that has been blown way out of proportion. It's becoming black magic and voodoo. Independent testing of SSDs has shown even the newest ones with 25nm NAND that "wears out" the fastest have had over 400 TeraBytes written to them and they just keep on going.

SDD and NAND chip manufactures in an attempt to assure users that they will last a long time have actually done the opposite. Whenever a date or time limit is put on something, it's like a Doomsday clock has started ticking. Standard HDD manufactures have never done that, and we all know those can fail any time. I bet somewhere there is a spec on how many times the magnetic material on a HDD platter can be magnetized into either state (0 or 1.) If HDD manufactures mentioned that, they'd be in the same boat as SSD manufactures are now, with customers counting down the days until NAND-RIP.

There really are no "performance"-related tweaks worth doing for sandforce drives. The only adjustments worth doing are the the space saving ones enabling you to have more of your favorite performance sensitive software stored on it. Like adjusting pagefile, hibernation etc.

Archived