Corsair Community

Hiccup loading Windows 7 Nova 60 GB

lesstutrey

I have a pair of 60gb NOVA series 2 ssds running in raid0 as my OS and program array, with all temp files and what not switched to my platter drives, for maybe a month now. In the past few weeks windows 7 will go through the loading animation and before the colored balls form the windows logo, they freeze, and then after a few seconds (15-30) they unfreeze and proceed to load windows really slowly.

I have used SSDs since before trim existed, several other brands/different controllers.

I have all the latest updates for my motherboard, and the ICH10R, intel rapid storage etc. This is really annoying for two reasons. first, my boot times are terrible for a ssd, platters are just as fast. 2nd, i haven't even done it yet, but will in the future, overclock the CPU i'm going to have no idea if i'm having a hard lock on boot from the overclock or if it's just the drives having their time to themselves. I notice pretty much every other drive has a firmware update, but nothing for these. What's going on? Oh.. and my ATTO scores are 400+ mb/s writes and 500+ mb/s reads, just so that's clear. The drives SHOULDN'T have issue booting.

I hardly see how this atto screen matters, but whatever, i'll post one up. I said that ATTO is getting good scores, i am just having a lockup during boot, that eventually unfreezes. Didn't happen with any of my other drives, used on same mobo. ATTO basically shows a controller maxed out. See:

http://www.thepharmakon.net/images/attoforcorsair.JPG

400+mb/s write

500+mb/s read

I happens with either set of cables i use. No i haven't gone through and unplugged everything but the ssds yet, mainly because i dont' think it's going to make a difference. I think that's what you were driving at when you said try disconnecting the HDDs.. however i will try that and report back in a while.

Disconnected everything but gpu+ram and the ssd's.. there is a slight glitch in loading, but not very long, couple seconds at most. added soundcard back, no difference, added the other hdds back, no difference, plug in dvd-r, hiccup. Plug in esata drive, hiccup, together it's quite a long hiccup. Time to go look at other versions of this bios it would seem. So it's not the drives apparently. i mean.. they still stall for a couple seconds (long enough for me to be like is that stalled? and then it starts going again). That to me sounds like a BIOS issue with initializing drives. Or it's windows being dumb.. hard to say.

So here's what i've done. I realized it was the sata DVD-R that was causing all the hiccups. I had that hooked into the marvell raid controller, not the intel ICH10R. Hooked it into one of the two open slots on the ICH i have, no hiccup during boot. I'm sure it's taking a little longer to boot because of the external running on ESATA. Windows has an update for the marvell raid controller, but it won't install correctly on my system. Maybe it will with nothing connected to it. I think my problem is that my external has the backup points on it, so it goes to install update, can't create restore point, and thus fails. Though why it takes way longer to fail installing the update with the DVD hooked up to the marvell i still don't know. I have had tons of issues with P5Q's and DVD drives. IDE and SATA.

Archived