Corsair Community

Sata Cable Loose - Force GT

gmcooper

Have new Corsair Force GT 120 SSD Drive. Sata cable does not click into the drive. Have tried a few cables and no place for the cable to click. Without this - the cable appears to be loose.

Is this normal? Any suggestions? Why no bracket at drive to keep connection tight? I suspect that power connection the same way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

I have seen other new SSD's that are manufactured this way, where SATA cables with locking latches will not lock into place. But do you know what will work? SATA cables without latches. Yes, these SSDs are designed to work with the latch-less, friction fitting type SATA cables. I tried such a cable on this type of SSD, and it "clicked" into place, very well actually.

I am not sure why this is being done, but I have some ideas about it. I've noticed that latching SATA cables can be loose when latched in place. They easily move or wiggle from side to side. They have a fair amount of "play" when connected, which seems to get worse over time. Believe it or not, the latch-less connectors fit better with much less play, IMO. They also don't disconnect or pull out easily. So in reality, they seem to provide a better connection than the latching type cables.

Another factor may be that less technical users may not know about latching cables and are simply pulling them out and damaging the drives. So the connectors are being dumbed down to prevent damage. But since latching cables really don't work with these SSDs, that's trading one issue for another, so I don't think this is the reason.

I found some good SATA cables without latches at Tiger/Comp, "SATA 3" FWIW, at a decent price IMO. They fit very well in the drive and mother board connectors, and work fine. Believe me, I am very picky about connectors, and I really think this type works well. So I don't see SSDs being built this way as automatically a bad thing. Try a decent latch-less cable, and see how they work.

• 1 month later...
I have seen other new SSD's that are manufactured this way, where SATA cables with locking latches will not lock into place. But do you know what will work? SATA cables without latches. Yes, these SSDs are designed to work with the latch-less, friction fitting type SATA cables. I tried such a cable on this type of SSD, and it "clicked" into place, very well actually.

I am not sure why this is being done, but I have some ideas about it. I've noticed that latching SATA cables can be loose when latched in place. They easily move or wiggle from side to side. They have a fair amount of "play" when connected, which seems to get worse over time. Believe it or not, the latch-less connectors fit better with much less play, IMO. They also don't disconnect or pull out easily. So in reality, they seem to provide a better connection than the latching type cables.

Another factor may be that less technical users may not know about latching cables and are simply pulling them out and damaging the drives. So the connectors are being dumbed down to prevent damage. But since latching cables really don't work with these SSDs, that's trading one issue for another, so I don't think this is the reason.

I found some good SATA cables without latches at Tiger/Comp, "SATA 3" FWIW, at a decent price IMO. They fit very well in the drive and mother board connectors, and work fine. Believe me, I am very picky about connectors, and I really think this type works well. So I don't see SSDs being built this way as automatically a bad thing. Try a decent latch-less cable, and see how they work.

I checked out Tiger.com and was wondering which exact Sata clipless cable that you purchased? I'm having the same problem with the 2 SSD drives I bought...Is there any way you could post the link to this item...Thank you very much in advance.

I checked out Tiger.com and was wondering which exact Sata clipless cable that you purchased? I'm having the same problem with the 2 SSD drives I bought...Is there any way you could post the link to this item...Thank you very much in advance.

This is it, there are two cables in each package so not a bad buy:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4473413&CatId=5446

Archived