Corsair Community

Force GT 120 Not fully showing up DOA?

Zoink

I bought two Force GT 120 gb hard drives. I wanted to RAID them but windows wouldn't let me format it for some reason.

Both of the new drives show up in BIOS, and in the Device Manager list of windows and of the Firmware updater. But only one drive shows up to format.

Steps taken so far:

changed sata cables and power cables

changed sata ports

changed between IDE setting, SATA setting, and AHCI in bios and nothing.

am i doing something wrong or could it just be DOA?

I wanted to RAID them but windows wouldn't let me format it for some reason.

SSDs should never be formatted, this could result in poor performance or faulty drive. Instead, please use SecureErase (e.g. PartedMagic) to erase and reset your drives. Be sure to UN-RAID your drives before performing SecureErase (or Firmware upgrade). Windows 7 is going to be installed in the unpartitioned area without formatting the drive.

Both of the new drives show up in BIOS, and in the Device Manager list of windows and of the Firmware updater. But only one drive shows up to format.

As long as your drives appear in BIOS and Device Manager, everything should be ok. You can check with PartedMagic whether you can SecureErase both drives. Did you set up the RAID array (RAID 0 I guess?) already? Then it would be normal that you can see only one single drive.

Sounds like you didn't setup your RAID array first. Did you go into the BIOS and setup your RAID array before installing Windows? If not then Windows saw the two drives as Just a Bunch of Disks (JBOD) and formatted one of them and installed itself on it. The other drive would need to be initialized/formatted in Disk Management to be useful as a secondary drive. If you still want a RAID setup, then You will need to secure erase the drive (both drives if you initialized the second drive) and start over: hook up the drives, start the system, enter BIOS, setup RAID, save changes and exit BIOS, put the Windows install DVD in, turn system off, start machine allowing it to boot from Windows install DVD, load/install Windows.

ps: setting up RAID is covered on pg. 4-15 of your motherboard's manual which may be found here (double-check to be sure this is the right manual for your version of that board):

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A89GTD_PROUSB3/#download

What I did was plug my two new ssd drives in, went into the bios turned on raid, boot up and i think it said to press ctrl-f to setup up a new array or something so i did that, and setup both the corsair drives for raid 0. said ok and rebooted. put the windows 7 64 bit disc in booted into setup, no drives showed up so i used my drivers from my motherboard to detect my chip or something. then all my drives showed up. it showed one with 222gigs (i think that was the drives raid 0) selected that to install windows on and it wouldn't go forward.

so from there on out i decided to double and triple check the detection of the drives in another OS(windows 7 32 bit). turned off raid and just did a jbod and what i found was only one of the drives in 'My Computer' so i checked the device manager and both of the drives were there. I did isolate what drive is not being seen.

I will try some of the utilities to see if i can get the one detected. and report back.

Archived