Corsair Community

Force GT 120 GB on GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0

anupam_luv

I have just purchased a Force GT SATA 3 120Gb from ebay

My PC Config is ...

Mobo: GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0

CPU: Intel i7 930 (Overclocked to 4.0Ghz)

RAM: Crucial 2gb x 3 DDR3 1600mhz

HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, Seagates ITB,500MB, 500MB

Power: Corsair 850W

Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX 460 AMP on PCI-E first slot

No Raid configured ... and this is my first SSD.

Can anybdy suggest if this SSD going to work without any problems on Sata III port of the motherboard OR I have to buy a separate card like Highpoint Rocket 620 ....

Plz dont suggest me to choose sata II port for it...

Thanks...

I guess you will have to try it by yourself. It may work with Marvell port, and if it does, you won't recognize any difference in performance compared to native AMD/Intel ports unless you do a benchmark or copy big amounts of data from or to your SSD.

If you are experiencing problems you should get a SATA PCIe card.

Btw: It would be great if you could post your system specs into your profile (see User CP) :sunglasse

Are the Sata PCIe card a better option than onboard Marvell port ....... I read somewhere on other forum that the newage SSD's like Corsair Force GT should be used with PCIe Card like Highpoint Rocket 620 if u need full read/write speed instead of using onboard Marvell...

What I dont understand is these Highpoint Card are also using same Marvell 88SE9128 controller as the motherboard's onboard Marvell controller ... then why is the difference?

I have read into the matter a fair bit and have noticed that an addon Sata 3 controller card actually slows down the boot time as it has to be recognised and the boot time is changed. Its ironical that all these cards and MB manufacturers are using Marvell chipsets. Especially the SE9128 series.

I have the GA-X58A UDR MB and this is what I did to get near to optimal performance.

Don't use the Marvell controller first off, Go to the bios and turn it off. Just connect the SSD to your Intel controller, in the bios turn on AHCI mode and get all the system installed, up and running. (latest drivers etc).

After your happy everything is installed. Reboot and turn the Marvell controller back on and in AHCI mode also you will see an option to use contoller firmware or sata/ssd firmware. Make sure it is using the sata/ssd firmware and save. Turn off the system and reconnect the SSD to the Marvell controller and off you go. You will find that the SSD is running perfectly. Make sure to disable Quick boot option.

Very important, there are some tips and tricks here in this forum sticky's to tweak the system to get better performance. I also found at a computer fair some 6GBps sata 3 cables $5 that have made a difference too.

SSD's are great, I have two now. I found the best benfit was putting one in an older P300 Toshiba laptop and getting another 12months of high speed performance out of the laptop.

As for transfering data on a system they (SSD's) are limited to what other storage devices are installed. (I other words transfering Data from a SSD to a sata 2 HDD will only yeild 130-180MBps). I have seen bursts of 285MBps.

Remember all the people using this new technology is/are at the cutting edge and will be pleased and or disappointed sometimes with performance and what they expected or was promised.

Archived