Corsair Community

H80: Seeing spikes of 98 degrees on stock 2600k

DRen72

I'm running an H80 on a stock clocked Intel 2600k. At idle I average around 32-35 degrees. I have this on an ASRock P67 with a Corsair AX1200 power supply and a GTX 590 video card.

Problem: After a while (Sometimes 5 to 30 minutes) while monitoring temps, I'll see a spike up to 98 degrees. This coincides with a sudden drop in the pump rpm. My BIOS and monitoring software tell me the pump runs around 3500 rpm and sometimes as low as 1900 on average. When I see these spikes in temp the rpm drops to under 400. After a few seconds it will speed back up and temps will drop.

First...I know it's installed correctly. The block is flush. Not too much thermal paste. Auto fan control is set to Full-On.

Do I have a bad pump?

The speed readings of your pump are strange, a H80 pump should be at ~2000 RPM. A H80's power is provided through the molex connector that must be connected directly to the power supply. I would check that connection, molex connectors can have their pins move out of place all to easily, you might have a poor connection.

The three pin fan connector on the H80 is only there to provide pump speed information, and to stop CPU fan errors from occurring if nothing was connected to that mother board header. Setting the fan headers on your board to full on does nothing when using a H80.

A quick test for you, try to lift the pump up from the mother board, preferably by lifting one or more of the four pump brackets. A few boards are thinner than usual, and the pump mounting standoffs don't screw down flush with the board.

Yes, this would not explain the odd pump speed reading, but might show why the temperature issue occurs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
Check around the sockets and see if there are some caps that are preventing the cold to make a full contact on the CPU. I have looked at some photos on this board and there are some on left side of the socket. It looks close but cannot really confirm if they close enough to hit the cold plate.

Check around the sockets and see if there are some caps that are preventing the cold to make a full contact on the CPU. I have looked at some photos on this board and there are some on left side of the socket. It looks close but cannot really confirm if they close enough to hit the cold plate.

Double, triple and quadruple checked this out. I'm not seeing it hit any capacitors at all. I think my issue is the pump failing (as posted in another thread). Going to RMA.

Archived