Corsair Community

Unstable running 2 kits of CML8GX3M2A1600C9W

Jasps

Hello,

Motherboard: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU: i7-2600K

My desktop is highly unstable (Windows 7 x64) when installing 16GB of this ram, while installing 12GB he is stable. I have tried the following:

- XMP profile 1 (turbo/standard mode)

- XMP disabled (turbo/standard mode)

- It's stable for 12GB, no matter what memory card I pull out, slots doesn't matter also.

I read in another thread that they should work on 1.45V but I haven't been able to adjust the voltage, where can i need to that? (Haven't found it)

Kind Regards,

Jasper

• Corsair Employee
All you should have to do is go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and then enable XMP Profile one. If you have tried that and it is still not stable check and see what the memory controller Voltage is getting set to? I would try and set it to 1.45 to 1.55 Volts and see if that helps. and maybe try 1.6 Volts for the memory voltage

Tried all options you guys are saying, it did not work. I called with the company where I ordered all stuff from, they told me send the motherboard and memory back to them so they can check what's wrong.

Edit: @ Synthohol, why does 3 memory module work then?

why does 3 memory module work then?
a couple reasons, not all slots are populated so its less of a strain on the CPU's memory controller.

also there is a chance that 2/3 sticks properly program the memory info into the controller ignoring the 3rd whereas 2 non matched pairs may be "fighting" for control of the data fed into the CPU. lastly, the baby Panda wants to live ;):

the 2 links in my sig explain it way better than i ever can. its an educating read i promise.

read them. So the problem might be that the pairs are unmatched... A matched pair should work then (might need to increase controller voltage etc)?

I hope I did not sent my motherboard and memory for nothing to the company I bought it from then, they might charge me for letting them test the motherboard and memory that is not defect, but just doesn't work well together... O well the guy from technical support said I should send it back.

Best thing to do if they can't find a defect is swapping the memory for a matched pair then?

• 2 weeks later...

Synthohol, got a 16GB kit now, and it's still not running properly! Also got the motherboard replaced, as the company I sent my components to lost them. So they send me a new motherboard and a kit of 16GB memory. (CML16GX3M4A1600C9)

So a new motherboard and a 16GB kit did not solve the problem!!!!!

The SSD isn't the problem as the problem remains when installing windows 7 on a normal HDD. (******** 1TB)

I also tried with only the cpu, psu, ssd (on different sata ports) attached to the motherboard, problem still remains!

Company technical support says I could try swapping the memory for a ******** kit, but I'm not sure this will solve the problem. Should I give this a try?

Why am I not allowed to say ******** on this forum????

• Corsair Employee

We are here to only support our products and years ago when the filter was implemented we were about the only forum supporting memory and many users of other manufacturers products would come here to try and get help. So the filter was enabled to prevent that.

In addition, it is against the rules that you agreed to when you joined our forum to go around the filters, so please do not do it again.

Did you try the install with only two or one module installed,, and what is the exact error message you get during the install?

I understand.

The problem is that Windows 7 is very slow with 16GB of RAM (unstable, during the startup it hangs on classpnp.sys), while when I install 12GB it run fines.

Until now I must say. Got a BSOD when running PCmark, then 10minutes later this happens:

http://i42.tinypic.com/24wzy3q.jpg

And this happened again when I restarted. (12GB installed)

I have absolutely no idea what's happing here.... Something wrong with the CPU? (I'm using the onboard graphics card) Or is it the RAM?

Thanks in advance for your help.

So a new motherboard and a 16GB kit did not solve the problem!!!!!

So the same exact problem followed a new MB and a NEW set of RAM? It has to be a bad cpu . Maybe just a bad HDD , but thats just about impossible for the same exact problem to follow both of your new components.If you had just replaced one or the other, i could see it. But not both.

@RAM GUY, yes i did that.

@peanutz94, yes same problem on a new MB and new set of RAM.

I ruled out the SSD, by installing windows 7 on another HDD, got the same problem. I even got the horizontal lines when entering the BIOS yesterday in the morning.

Returned the MB, RAM and CPU this time. They will test all components to see what's defect. I'm too thinking it's the CPU, as it houses the memory controller and I used the onboard graphics card which is also on the CPU.

NP Please let us know what happens.

Will do. They will probably test it Saturday or Monday. Found out that more people have a hard time getting the motherboard to run stable, so it might be the motherboard after all. I hope not because it's an excellent board to run Max OS X lion on (dual boot) and it has more then one video output port. (other have only hdmi)

• 2 weeks later...
Got the results today. The motherboard and CPU are not defect. It's the memory that's not compatible. They will exchange it for ******** memory from another manufacturer. They will test the new memory to be sure (I asked that).

Pff, they sent me the same memory back (the one I send to them earlier to test).

After along conversation with them and saying I would like to return everything I bought from them, they are now going to send me the memory kit they suggested for free.

The test results they give me yesterday (that it's incompatible) were not correct, the memory is defect.

So I now have a memory kit that has a defect module, is there a way to get it repaired via corsair so I can sell it?

For the dutch guys out here: Bestel nooit wat bij Alternate!

Got the results today. The motherboard and CPU are not defect. It's the memory that's not compatible. They will exchange it for ******** memory from another manufacturer. They will test the new memory to be sure (I asked that).

Thoses modules are not incompatible. They were made specifically for that chipset . You have some sort of hardware issue going on but i dont think it's the memory. There is no way you could get two bad kits of the exact same memory .

The test results they give me yesterday (that it's incompatible) were not correct, the memory is defect.

How are they defect? I'm just curious because ,again, it would be pretty unlikely that you would get a second kit that acted the same exact way as the first one. Did you test them yourself with memtest or let the reseller test it? Sorry, i think they are yanking your chain. First they tell you they are incompatible, then they are not, then they suggest a different set, wait those are not incompatible, they are just bad......

Corsair lists them in the memory configurator so that kit HAS been tested on that specific MB.They would not list parts that have not been fully tested with each other. I think you are blaming the wrong components ... Thats just my .02

You can RMA the modules using the link on the left if you want. .

Cheers!

I don't know how they are defect, the company tested them by putting it into there test-bench.

This is the result that got delivered with the components (translated):

We installed your components to our test-benches. When we installed the memory on one of our test boards, the system would not start. After this we concluded that one of the modules is the cause of this. This is the reason that in your system only 12GB was recognized. The conclusion is that the memory is defect.

The bold is utter bull**** as it saw the 16GB but was unstable and later on even with 12GB is was crashing like never before. It's a complete mess there, telling you things that are not true and breaking promises. I will never order parts from them ever again.

But I don't know what the cause is. I think the first two kits didn't work well together and the 16GB kit, well maybe one module was defect as I didn't run a memtest on them (same problem so I assumed it would be something else). But I can still do that if you want me to, as they have sent them back.

Archived