Corsair Community

Older H60 & H70 Compatibilty with Socket 2011??

mdzcpa

I am in need to find a cooler for my 3960X. The local Micro Center has the H70 and H60 in stock. However I assume some of these have been on the shelf for a while. Will these coolers be compatible of the new socket 2011 or were changes recently made to the product to allow for compatibility?

The H60 has included the parts to work with socket 2011 CPUs for a while now, so you should be fine purchasing one. I have two I bought a few months ago, and both had the parts (different mother board standoffs for the pump.)

The H70 I can't be certain about, I don't own one. The latest H70 Core model is rated for use with your CPU, but the older models of the H70 may not.

The H60 I just purchased from Micro Center only comes with 4 double side screws. One side to be threaded into the mounting bracket, and the other for the bolt downs at each corner to hold the block in place. The threads on these 4 screws, either side, do not thread into the socket 2011 mounting holes. They are too small.

Do I need instructions here, or am I missing some parts!

I just figured out the problem. I must have an original H60 that did not include the extra screws (the ones that have a larger M4 thread on one side that fit the socket 2011 holes). I just checked out the review on Anandtech of the H60, H80, and H100 and you can see in the hardware pics that their H60 review sample also lacked the 2011 mounting screws.

Anandtech review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series-h60-h80-and-h100-reviewed

H60 Hardware:

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/1506/h60-accessories_575px.jpg

H80 Hardware:

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/1507/h80-accessories_575px.jpg

H100:

http://images.anandtech.com/galleries/1508/h100-accessories_575px.jpg

I wanted to use the H60 on my test bench while I configured the mobo. I know its not enough for high end overclocking, but it would be a nice unit for test n tune.

Anyway I can get Corsair to send me some 2011 screws?

The H60 I just purchased from Micro Center only comes with 4 double side screws...

Do I need instructions here, or am I missing some parts!

You are missing some parts. Both H60's I purchased have eight of the double sided mounting screws, one set of four used for socket 2011 mounting. Those screws have one side whose threaded portion is much shorter, about 1/4" long, and has a larger diameter, to fit in the threaded portions of the 2011 socket.

To get these parts you can create an RMA, and in the description section state that you only need the mounting parts for a H60, and do not want to return your H60. That is the usual procedure in your circumstance, unless RAM GUY advices you otherwise. Either way, create the RMA, as it causes no harm and can be cancelled if necessary.

FYI, according to what I've read about the i7-3960X, if you are planning on doing any high overclocking with it, a H60 may be inadequate for that task. High overclocking would be above 4.5GHz. It seems the i7-3960X when OC'd uses more power than the i7-990X does, and becomes quite hot. If my experience with an i7-2600K is any indication, the cooling needed once you pass the 4.5GHz level, increases drastically.

Thanks. I am working with support on the issue now. I think they are going to hook me up with the screws I need. The early H60 packages didn't include them.

Like I mentioned above, I'm not looking for serious OC on the H60. I just need something for my assembly bench. I build quite a few systems and i like to get them up and running and debugged before dropping them into a case and maxing the overclock. The H60 makes an idea assembly bench cooler.

Thanks again.

I need these standoff's too. I have EVERYTHING else ready to go except for the cooler. EDIT: parts on the way.

It would have been nice for retailers to separate the kits with the 2011 hardware in it if you ordered it with the expectation that it was going to be there. Or Corsair to revise the model number to differentiate it, like H60.1 or something so you don't accidentally get a kit that screws you (no pun intended)

• Corsair Employees

H60 - I believe some of them came with the 2011 standoffs and some didn't - If you didn't get one, submit an RMA and describe the parts that you need

H70 core, H80 & H100 - Should come with all standoffs

H50 & H70 - Does not come with 2011 standoffs but will be available on our webstore soon.

• 1 month later...
For both H50 and H70, there will be a kit available soon that will allow the unit to be compatible with LGA2011

Any word on availability of this yet? I have an older H70 that doesn't come with the LGA 2011 bracket and I've got a new 2011 processor on order. I'm not expecting the new processor (i7 3820) until late January or February but I need to make sure I'm ready for it. :!:

The H70 cooler will not work with an X79 motherboard unless you are using low profile RAM. This should be prominantly mentioned but it isn't. The H70 will not clear the DIMMs to the rear of the CPU. I should know. I just moved from the H70 to the H100 specifically because of this issue. The same problem will exist for the H80. The H60 should work as long as you're not trying a push-pull configuration with everything inside of the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any word on availability of this yet? I have an older H70 that doesn't come with the LGA 2011 bracket and I've got a new 2011 processor on order. I'm not expecting the new processor (i7 3820) until late January or February but I need to make sure I'm ready for it. :!:

I have a H50 (socket AM2/AM3, LGA 1156 and LGA1366 mountings) and on your shop two parts are listed with only H50 rev2 having the LGA2011 parts. Does this mean that I cannot order the part since my H50 is the original one? Will the 1366 mounting work on an Intel DX79SI motherboard or do I definitely need to order some more parts from Corsair? Many Thanks.

• 1 month later...

It would be nice if people posted what ended up happening with this so others aren't left in the dark.

It would be even better if Corsair was able to give a clear and concise answer as to whether a certain revision of the H50 needs a new bracket or if the stock backplate on the LGA2011 board can be used.

Seriously, it's not like this is some ancient product. Throw me a bone here.

Archived