Corsair Community

Why is my power supply no longer enough?

adrianjgsmith

I've been running my system on a TX650 for the last couple of months and all was fine. But for some reason, it now doesn't seem to have enough oomph to even boot the BIOS.

I left the system running a load of graphics renders overnight the other day, and returned in the morning to find it had crashed. These things happen. So I rebooted and restarted my renders. Quite quickly a load of corruption came up on screen, so I though it best to shut down, leave the system for a few minutes and power on again. When I tried to power back on... Nothing. I could see the fans (PSU/CPU and case) start to spin for a moment, then die off. Nothing on screen.

I managed to get the system running with a 900w supply from another manufacturer from another system that wasn't being used, and assumed my TX650 must have blown, so I ordered a replacement.

The replacement arrived today, I fitted it and... same problem: fans run for a moment then die away. The 900w supply still works fine.

I've subsequently done the paperclip test on the original TX650 and that seems fine. So my question basically is: how can a power supply that ran my system flawlessly all of a sudden be completely inadequate? Nothing's changed in my setup, I haven't even plugged in a flash drive.

I'm stumped... Please help!

IMO, the thread you posted is not related to your problem. I'm guessing that your video card is causing the problem, since your are seeing the same issue with both power supplies. Or the PCI-E slot used for your video card has a problem, perhaps damage from the extended high power load on it. I suggest you try another video card in that PC, or try another PCI-E slot, if your board has one.

IMO, the thread you posted is not related to your problem. I'm guessing that your video card is causing the problem, since your are seeing the same issue with both power supplies. Or the PCI-E slot used for your video card has a problem, perhaps damage from the extended high power load on it. I suggest you try another video card in that PC, or try another PCI-E slot, if your board has one.

But surely that wouldn't explain why using a different manufacturer's PSU resolves the issue immediately? The issue in the thread I've linked to exhibits the same symptoms, and people are finding it remedied by using an OEM PSU, or adding more power draining items.

I also thought it might be the GPU when I saw the on screen corruption before it all went down, but as I say, it's not been repeated with the other PSU.

Annoyingly I've done both. I have an RMA number to return the first one, but haven't been able to get from my desk to return it. RMA turnaround is over a week which I can't bear with my current workload, so I ordered another in advance. Now neither work, and the only one that does doesn't belong to me!

But surely that wouldn't explain why using a different manufacturer's PSU resolves the issue immediately? The issue in the thread I've linked to exhibits the same symptoms, and people are finding it remedied by using an OEM PSU, or adding more power draining items.

I also thought it might be the GPU when I saw the on screen corruption before it all went down, but as I say, it's not been repeated with the other PSU.

The main point of that thread is that the issue those users experienced was solved by increasing the load on the PS, which is not something that solved your issue. Changing the PS as a solution is coincidentally related to your issue, and is one of the most common fixes with any PS issue.

If you had no hardware changes in your PC, and suddenly the PC failed to boot, and a new PS of the same model does not fix the boot issue, one potential cause is new or updated software, like a video driver update. Was one installed recently, or maybe via Windows Update? Seems like a long shot but I have heard of this causing problems.

RMA turnaround is over a week which I can't bear with my current workload
Ask about an advanced RMA. They'll send one first. Also, if the RMA'd one doesn't work and you want to RMA that one, tell them it was a recent RMA and they'll cover shipping both ways.

Archived