Corsair Community

Corsair Force 3 - Windows XP Install - Blue Screen

kill1308

Hi there,

I have a Corsair Force 3 120gb drive and I am trying to install Windows XP on it, I've tried it in several different machines now and the Windows install does a BSOD whilst it's loading the drivers to start Windows setup.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer....<snip>

Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information :

**** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've tried this in a couple of different computers now and it does the same thing. Are these drives not compatible with XP? If so has anyone found a workaround?

I did a search but couldn't really find anything relating to this problem.

Thanks for the help :)

James

Why XP? It doesn't support TRIM and doesn't align the partition correctly for SSDs (which means you'll need to align it manually before installing the OS).

Because we have some old commissioning software that isn't supported by Win7, doesn't work in compatibility mode and is a pain to work with in a virtual machine due to the software requiring several network adapters. Already been down this route and it's not a nice option.

It would be much nicer to just get XP installed natively on this disk without having to mess around with VMware.

you might try installing xp on a hdd and then use whatever tool or command to align the SSD then clone the install from the HDD on to it? in the XP install make sure you install the scsi and or raid drivers for your controller. even if the yellow warning icon says no hardware found or something like that. this way when you boot from the SSD it will already have the appropriate drivers and should continue to boot.

If anyone has any suggestions for me on this I'd really appreciate it.

I'd really like to use the SSD I bought in this machine :)

Thankyou

James

System specs in your dropdown would be helpful. Also, are you trying to install in IDE mode or AHCI mode? Is your OS copy XP, XP+SP1,+SP2........?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply, sorry for not replying sooner I've been away on vacation.

Before reading this, I tried using the 'F6' drivers supplied by HP and specified additional hardware before XP started and I still got a bluescreen. The laptop in question is an HP Probook 6560b.

I tried installing in AHCI mode and IDE, when I used IDE, XP would not detect a hard drive to install it on. (AHCI bluescreens as per my original post).

I then tried to install on Windows on another machine (on the Corsair Force3) although it would only recognise the drive in IDE mode. Then I put the HDD back in the laptop and set IDE mode and it would not recognise the drive. I put it back in AHCI mode but then Windows won't start, it just continually reboots.

The OS I'm trying to install is XP Professional SP2. Sorry for the lack of details previously, hopefully this is enough information now as I'm still a bit stuck with this.

Thanks for the help :)

James

I then tried to install on Windows on another machine (on the Corsair Force3) although it would only recognise the drive in IDE mode. Then I put the HDD back in the laptop and set IDE mode and it would not recognise the drive. I put it back in AHCI mode but then Windows won't start, it just continually reboots.

Install the OS in IDE mode, then look in our sticky section for the HOW TO on switching from IDE to AHCI mode. This requires a registry change. Once you apply the registry change, you can reboot, enter BIOS< set to AHCI, and you should be good to go.

Archived