Corsair Community

Power supplies tripping

syl3ns

Hello all. I have a system which contains a phenom2 and dual GTX460s in SLI (all stock). I had a cheap power supply (700W max) which burnt out under the load so I purchased a corsair TX750M. The system worked for 2 hours until I loaded a game, at which point the system died upon game startup. The local computer shop tested the system and said the power supply was dead. I swapped the power supply for a TX850M and the same thing happened. The power supply tripped as soon as a game was loaded. After 10 minutes the power supply worked again and I was able to boot. The system was stable for 8 hours without loading any games. After disabling SLI I loaded a game to see if the problem would resurface and the power supply tripped again. This time it did not recover.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

What exactly is tripping within the PSU?

Will it be third time lucky?

Thank you all.

Thanks for the reply so quickly. I changed outlets and have just the PSU on the one outlet. I get the fans spinning but no boot. I have swapped the power supply with a 450W supply and taken out one of the GTX460s and it works well, although my battlefield kill ratios have suffered. The TX850M power supply in the same configuration still wont boot so I am assuming it is damaged. I will try return it tomorrow and ask the shop to find a PSU that will work in my system. Thanks again. Although I am still puzzled as to why cheap power supplies are working and a corsair, which is the most expensive part in the whole system, is tripping.

Thanks for the reply so quickly. I changed outlets and have just the PSU on the one outlet. I get the fans spinning but no boot. I have swapped the power supply with a 450W supply and taken out one of the GTX460s and it works well, although my battlefield kill ratios have suffered. The TX850M power supply in the same configuration still wont boot so I am assuming it is damaged. I will try return it tomorrow and ask the shop to find a PSU that will work in my system. Thanks again. Although I am still puzzled as to why cheap power supplies are working and a corsair, which is the most expensive part in the whole system, is tripping.

First, the cheap PS worked since you have only one GTX460 in the PC. Next, the Corsair PS may be shutting down because it is detecting a problem of some kind. The cheap PS will keep on running with the problem until it dies. Note that the Corsair PS shutdown, and then reset itself, before apparently becoming permanently dead when put back in the PC again.

One question is how long did you have the 700W PS with your SLI'd cards? Also, you were never able to verify that the rest of the PC was not damaged before you tried the first Corsair PS.

From your posts it seems like the PS's don't like the SLI set up, or one of the video cards is bad, or one of the PCI-E slots has a problem.

Ok, I had a pc shop put every part into another machine to try and find the rougue part but couldn't find any problems. I have since exchanged the supply for another brand, which has had an hour of BF3 in SLI with no problems. One thing I can note is that the PCI-E power cables slipped into the graphics cards a lot easier than with the corsair PSUs. Since you need 4 of them to power a GTX460 SLI setup I am thinking I may not have had a cable fully into one of the cards, which may have tripped the supplies once the graphics cards needed to draw a lot of power. Lesson learned.

This hasn't turned me off Corsair PSUs and I would probably recommend one to someone in the future, however I would recommend to someone who purchases one to learn from my mistakes and

a) not plug into a power board sharing power with other components but go straight into a wall socket

b) ensure the PCI-E power connectors are properly attached to the graphics cards (they do go in, you've got to really force some of them)

Thanks for the help guys

p.s. Getting a power supply with a racing stripe does not make the computer run any faster

Archived