Corsair Community

Blew up my 500R case... need advice

craigieburn

Some background: I just bought all the bits required to build a new PC. I haven't built a PC in about 5 years so i am a bit rusty, but know the basics.

I found the lack of instructions for the front panel connectors quite surprising but carried on to the best of my ability.

The PC build went fairly smoothly, and soon i had everything installed and connected, except for the 4 pin molex cable that came from the front panel. At this point everything was working fine except for the 2 front fans and the large side panel fan. Given that all the other fans connected to the motherboard, I assumed that the last 3 fans should get power through the motherboard as well. I found an adapter (i think it came with the case?) which converted the 4 pin molex into a smaller connector that fit perfectly onto a spare 4 pin fan socket on the motherboard.

When i powered on the PC, smoke poured out of the length of the wire, and when i powered off i could see the shielding on the wire had melted. oops...

I was worried that everything might have been fried by the incident, so i unplugged the cable from the motherboard and carried on. It booted OK, and i have now installed windows 7 on it, installed drivers for everything and i havent noticed any more problems.

On the front panel, the power button works, the audio ports work, but the fan controls, fan light toggle, and usb ports dont work. obviously the fans also do not work

1) what did i do wrong? was there some sort of voltage mismatch from the way i connected it? If i just connected straight to the power supply without trying to go via the motherboard would it have worked ok?

2) do you think the motherboard is damaged at all from the short? My hope is that if the motherboard is supplying the power, it would only fry the front connector and the motherboard would be OK, but i haven't tested the motherboard fan connector that was involved in the "incident"

3) Is there anyway to replace the front panel stuff without buying a whole new case?

TL, DR: I shorted out a front panel connector. Have some questions about it.

If the mobo was damaged, your PC would probably not start.

Yes you can get the front panel, it's listed on Corsair shop section.

What went wrong... ermmm... for my 500r, I just plugged the molex to power the fan control, plugged the 200mm fan in and everything was working right away

The fan controler gets is power from the molex plug (that have to come from your PSU), because I dont think a 4 pin on the mobo can power 2x 120mm + a 200mm fan

Given that all the other fans connected to the motherboard, I assumed that the last 3 fans should get power through the motherboard as well. I found an adapter (i think it came with the case?) which converted the 4 pin molex into a smaller connector that fit perfectly onto a spare 4 pin fan socket on the motherboard.

When i powered on the PC, smoke poured out of the length of the wire, and when i powered off i at all from the short?

The small end was connected to a 4 pin fan header on the MOBO, right? What was the other end connected to?

Can you post a picture of this adapter?

No idea what you did, other than "something wrong".

A standard 4-pin molex should just be plugged into a cable from the powersupply... what made you think plugging it in to the motherboard through an adapter was the way to do it, when you've got the standard molex plugs right there?

If you post a picture of the "adapter" wired up to the front panel as you had it, we can ascertain whether any damage was actually done. As it stands, you're wise not to plug the front panel into anything just yet. I'd also avoid using the fan header you plugged the adapter into, just in case.

Archived