Corsair Community

400R Fan Configuration

P_unit

So I just put together a new build (see sig), I used the 400r case and have an h100 for cooling, as well as the 3 included fans. Additionally I picked up 3 more fans. With this setup what would you guys recommend as the "ideal" fan configuration for this setup?

I will be experimenting with setups to get ideal temps, but I just want some input on what people think would be a good base.

Currently I am using the two front included fans as intakes, the included rear fan as exhaust, the h100 at the top of the case as an exhaust, and the side vent fans as intakes as well. This seems to provide the best flow in my mind, but would I see increased cooling out of the h100 by using it as an intake, thus pulling cool air directly over the rad?

Any other opinions, from Corsair or otherwise?

...but would I see increased cooling out of the h100 by using it as an intake, thus pulling cool air directly over the rad?

I would suggest to use the fans for the H100 as intake. The room temperature is always some degrees cooler compared to the temperature inside your case.

Anyway, I think your setup should be the ideal airflow for this case. Where did you install the 3rd additional fan you bought? Behind the HDD tray?

Do you see a problem with having all of the intake fans and only 1 exhaust fan, plus the video card exhausting?

No, this should be no problem. But to make sure the air is constantly flowing, I would think about this:

- Replace the stock rear fan with a 140mm fan. E.g. the Prolimatech Blue Vortex can move a lot of air compared to its noise level!

- Add a second "pull" fan to the HDD cage.

Never pull air inside the case push it out. I understand the room temp is low. But that is already being done by the front 2 fans. As you may endup with dust if you pull air from the room. Its best to push out at all sides except front as there is a filter only in the front side.

I would leave it like you started. Air cools when it is in motion and your current setup should give you good airflow. Also if you reverse the H100 all that heat from the CPU is now pumped back into the case. This may effect the cooling of your MB and GPU. I added an intake fan at the bottom (next to PSU) as it has a filter. I am looking to get filters for my side fans as they are also intake and blow a lot of cool air onto the entire MB and GPU.

Jim

As you may endup with dust if you pull air from the room.

To reduce the amount of dust getting into your case you can buy fan filters like this or that. You will never avoid this completely, even if every fan is acting as exhaust. I clean my case every 2 months, even with fan filters installed.

Its best to push out at all sides except front as there is a filter only in the front side.

There are two fan mounting positions at the side panel, they are intended to cool the graphic card(s) and mobo by using two fans as intake. The two fans in the front panel won't be enough for that.

Also if you reverse the H100 all that heat from the CPU is now pumped back into the case.

I don't think that this would be a problem because of the rear fan exhaust. But using the H100 fans as exhaust could be a good idea if you want to use the chimney effect.

@P_unit:

Anyway, I think you should try some different setups and see which will work best for you. And post your results please!

Archived