Corsair Community

XMS2 Memory, different versions running together?

crash4fun

Hello,

I apologize in advance for not having the exact version number for you, but I figured this may not be necessary and I'll update later this evening if needed.

Basically, I am attempting to get 4 sticks of ram to run, my new set along with my older set... both are XMS2.

I just purchased TWIN2X4096-6400C5C for my PC. The memory works great by itself. However, when I try to use it with older XMS2 memory, Windows will not boot up. It simply restarts immediately after showing "Starting Windows".

I have two sets of TWIN2X2048-6400, one set has the timings 5-5-5-12 at 1.8v and the other is 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v. These are the printed timings on the sticks themselves. I tried running the 5-5-5-12 along with the new ram I purchased and experienced the issue.

So I guess my question is, what am I supposed to do to get 4 sticks working in my motherboard? I am going to try using the 4-4-4-12 set since they claim to also work in 5-5-5-18 mode according to CPU-Z. I don't want to mess with the voltages in the BIOS to much since I don't think this will solve anything and possibly fry some RAM sticks. I am rather frustrated because I purchased XMS2 again to ensure compatibility. I noticed that the Bios detects the new ram sticks and runs them at 1.9v, not the 1.8v that they are advertised as running at. Any suggestions?

• Corsair Employees
Mixing memory would not be suggested or officially supported but if you do I would try and set the memory frequency to DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and leave the timings at AUTO and make sure command Rate if its listed is set to 2T.

Hey ok, so I got this to work out ok. I used XMS 2x1024 CL5, and the new XMS 2x2048 CL5 together. What I did differently this time was I set manual timings in my bios for 5-6-6-18, set voltage to 2.0 and freq to 830mhz.

Something about my bios will not let me set it to 800mhz, the closest to the two was 778 and the 830. Well, the 778 didn't work before, and this did with those timings. So not only do I have two dual channel kits, but I have a slight overclock :) Not that I really wanted to do that... I would have been happy with 800 mhz.

Archived