Corsair Community

SSDs should be securely erased every 3 months?

beaulanger

It was mentioned here:
3 months is usually the period where the SSD should get a secure erase and re-install of Windows.

I don't know of any reason to SE a normally functioning SSD every 3 months. Some users with RAID setups or with OS' that do not support TRIM may try this to restore performance but it's certainly not required for a normally functioning SSD with TRIM.

I have six SSD's, two that are going on two years old, and I have never secure erased any of them. All but one are used as OS drives, and none are used in RAID arrays. Their performance is fine, all benchmarked every four months or so. I do have Windows 7 on all the PCs, except for one Vista machine (gasp!)

There are users that like to reinstall Windows one or more times a year, and I understand why they like to do that, but I am not a member of that club. Given that way of doing things, secure erasing the SSD before the OS installation makes sense. Otherwise secure erasing is not a standard, required procedure for SSDs as a maintenance thing.

I have six SSD's, two that are going on two years old, and I have never secure erased any of them. All but one are used as OS drives, and none are used in RAID arrays. Their performance is fine, all benchmarked every four months or so. I do have Windows 7 on all the PCs, except for one Vista machine (gasp!)

There are users that like to reinstall Windows one or more times a year, and I understand why they like to do that, but I am not a member of that club. Given that way of doing things, secure erasing the SSD before the OS installation makes sense. Otherwise secure erasing is not a standard, required procedure for SSDs as a maintenance thing.

End user feedback is always welcome. Very well said! ::pirate::

Secure erase is not a standard SSD maintenance thing.

The reason why i say that to most people is because if you are experiencing slow loading times on a SSD then a Secure erase should fix the issue.

If the user was experiencing hangs, lock-ups and they have tried all the suggestions that have been mentioned, then i would recommend a secure erase. The reason why i usually say Secure erase the SSD is for troubleshooting reasons, If the we cannot pinpoint where the problem is then i recommend secure erasing the SSD and start from the beginning.

Three months is a approximate estimation. Not a full figure. And by estimation it depends on Windows and what programs are on it.

If you think my way of troubleshooting, suggestions or tips are a load of crap. Then i will stop posting here.

I hope I did not make you feel that way, my last comment was not sarcastic, nor the previous one as well. I'm sure you see the intent of the other comments, to educate the less experienced user that performing a SE on a schedule is not a standard procedure, just like you said. I imagine your comment in the other thread, which I have not read, was taken out of context.

Archived