Corsair Community

red/blue/green tracers after installing second DIMM

amb669

hey guys, i have a weird issue here, my ram is CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 (x2)both ver 5.11, ran mem test no errors. my system was ALOT better before adding a second DIMM, now after having the second DIMM installed MOST of the time i get red/green/blue tracers in ALL my games (and even not in games) in ALL operating systems (vista/7/8) but sometimes i can reboot my system a few times until it's gone, it seems completly random it either works proper or it doesnt, i have my timings set at 9-9-9-24-2t @ 1.65v (BIOS shows ram running at 1.63v for some reason, i don't know if this has anything to do with my situation but worth mentioning) ALL my BIOS controls are taken off auto except the memory sub-timings so the issue must be in here somewhere, if it was a physical defect i'd imagine i would see this 100% of the time but since it only happens 4/5 times & it happens in ALL OS's i'm convinced the problem lies within my BIOS ram sub-timings, i also noticed my cooling fin on my second DIMM isn't touching all the chips though this shouldn't cause any problems when i down clock the ram to 800mhz but it doesn't change things the issue is still there either way.

/e, forgot to mention i'v tried adding +150VTT (1.35v) still the same

basically my question is does anyone know what could be causing this?

any help would be very very appreciated

thanks

Dustin

Reseat Videocard in PCI-E video slot, Reseat PCI-E power connector to the video card, reseat the DVI-D cable from your videocard to your Monitor at both ends. Are you driving the monitor at it's native refresh rate of 120HZ or something else? Is the monitor itself set to run at 120Hz. Mismatches between Window's Control Panel Display settings for refresh rate, the monitor itself, and in your case Ati's Catalyst Control Center can cause this kind of issue. Other possibilities: a driver incompatibility with a particular monitor usually fixed by going over to the monitor manufacturer and seing if they have a .inf file for that particular model to install in Windows, overheating video chipset, a 3D driver problem. Also do both DVI connections on that 6950 support DVI-D cables required by that monitor to run 3D? Some card manufacturers only enabled support for DVI-D cables on one output not both. Basically, I know of no way system RAM can cause what you're seeing.

sadly i'v tried reseating everything in my pc countless times, i'v tried every ATI driver there is for my card (some reduce the effect, some make it worse) also i'm currently running 120hz as it's twice as smooth as 60hz (even though it shouldnt be lol) and 60hz in my games.

also i just got this monitor, my old one (60hz) does the same thing

i asked the guy at the computer store he said the same thing that he's never seen it caused from ram either, but if i remove my second DIMM it boots 100% of the time without tracers (all around smoother in general to)

also one other thing to add is this happens with my gtx460 aswell (tried mass drivers on fresh windows install & secure erase for my SSD every time, doesnt help)

it really does seem like a driver incompatability to myself aswell but how could 100% of the drivers be incompatable with my system under all operating systems, this is just weird and very frustrating

I would contact EVGA and see what they have to say about it. I'm betting it's something wrong with the mb itself. Corrupt BIOS , something.... ZBut to be sure , can you test each stick individually in one slot and then test them again in the slot you say helps when you remove one stick.

If both sticks have trouble with the same slot that would give you an answer at least.

As Peanutz94 suggested, I'd see if the problem follows the RAM slot, ie try plugging a single stick into the slot thats filled when the problem occurs. The board might have a problem with direct memory access between the Pci-e slot and RAM either caused by a defective component on the motherboard or the aforementioned possible corruption in the BIOS. With all of the testing you've done, I'd pretty much rule out driver incompatibility.

Archived