Corsair Community

New F240 Bricked?

squilliam

Good evening everyone,

I just received a brand new F240 in the mail, which I bought off of E-bay.

Last night I installed Windows 7 64bit, and began the process of installing everything.

The very first thing I installed was the latest version of Google Chrome, synced my bookmarks, and started web browsing for a couple of moments.

It was just then that my laptop blue screened. I had read ahead about the various issues with the Force series, and figured I just needed to update the firmware. No sweat, right? No.

After just that one blue screen, I am no longer able to see the SSD. Not even in the BIOS.

I cold booted a bunch of times, as well as warm booted. Nothing.

I put it in my 2.5" enclosure. Nothing.

I fear for the worst, and I'm not sure how to proceed. As of now I put my Kingston V100 128GB SSD in, and it works perfectly.

I've filled out the RMA form, and am waiting to hear back, but I don't know if I will be allowed to, as I purchased it via E-bay.

Suggestions? I've been working on trying to get this to work for most of the day.

In relation to the BIOS not being able to see the drive, did you remember to reset the notebook's motherboard? Basically, turn system off, remove AC power, remove battery pack, count to 30, reinstall battery pack,ect. Certain Intel SATA drive controller's BIOS settings do not include a setting for AHCI per se. Intel expects one to know that changing the applicable BIOS setting from IDE-mode to RAID-mode will implement AHCI and run the single drive as a JBOD. Hopefully, after resetting the notebook's motherboard, you can once again see the "vanished" drive in the BIOS. With the system running the original 128BG SSD, is the BIOS set to IDE-mode or RAID? I ask this because the need to update the firmware to prevent crashing is frequently necesssary to run AHCI but not in IDE. If it's running that 128BG SSD in IDE-mode presently, then when you changed out to the F240 it would be running in IDE-mode as well. That would likely explain why the WINDOWS 7 and then Chrome install went smoothly. Since the hard Blue Screen crash occured soon after you started surfing the net, this usually points to a video driver problem (can also be audio driver but audio driver crashes/conflicts usually lead to the system/application stuttering and freezing rather than Blue screens). After installing Windows, which video driver did you install, the original 91MB one from Asus or one from NVidia?

I did this earlier. I left it unplugged for 10 minutes (and the battery pack out).

Even with the functional 128 from a different manufacturer, I don't have any options for the drive except enabling it/ disabling it, and making it the primary/ secondary boot device.

If it were my drive, I'd try to hook it up via SATA to another desktop PC to see if it can see the drive. If the other PC can't see the drive then the drive may be bricked. If it can see the drive then I'd try updating the BIOS on that notebook. If those are the only options in your BIOS, primary and secondary, then it looks like that motherboard only supports IDE-mode.

Archived