Corsair Community

Problem with ASUS A7V8X-LAN mobo and 3 x XMS CMX512-2700LLPT sticks

animix

Hi, The computer: Mobo: ASUS A7V8x-LAN OS-WinXP (basically gutted of all nonessential functionality-this is an audio workstation) CPU-AMD XP2800 RAM-XMS CMX512-2700LLPT (matched pair-slots 1 & 2) Video card-Matrox G450 dual head AGP PCI #1-Host card for SBS Bit 3 PCI backplane expansion chassis which contains one RME HDSP 9652 24 channel audio interface PCI #2 empty PCI #3 Universal Audio UAD-1 DSP processor PCI #4 Empty PCI #5-Universal Audio UAD-1 DSP processor No IRQ conflicts, no audio or DSP cards sharing IRQ with the graphics card or with each other. System is very stable running 2 x XMS CMX512-2700LLPT Ram sticks as described above. I recently bought an identical XMS CMX512-2700LLPT and installed it in slot 3 (this mobo only has 3 x slots for RAM) In my bios it shows 1536MB of physical memory. In my system resources panel, it shows that I've got 1536MB of physical memory installed, 1024 MB physical memory available. The only difference in the RAM sticks is that the two original sticks are labelled *X Twin*. About 30 seconds into using any application with the three sticks inserted, I'm getting a bluescreen relating to needing to check for faulty or mismatched memory. I have tested each stick individually in slot 1 of the motherboard and each one works perfectly. 1. Is there some reason this mobo won't run three XMS CMX512-2700LLPT sticks? 2. Would this problem not be encountered if it was a different type of RAM.........Corsair or other brand? 3. Are XMS CMX512-2700LLPT sticks only designed to operate singly or in pairs? If so, then this would be causing the problem. 4. If the XMS CMX512-2700LLPT sticks are only designed to work singly or in pairs, is there another compatible RAM stick that would work with a pair of Corsair XMS CMX512-2700LLPT sticks in this motherboard so that I can achieve over 1024 MB of RAM with this mobo? 5. If I can't use three RAM sticks in this mobo, does Corsair (or anyone else) make matched pairs of 1024 MB RAM sticks (of comparable performance) that would work in the ASUS A7V8X mobo? Lastly, I'm having a hard time determining from ASUS' webiste the latest bios revision. I am running rev 1.00.0.21. Is this the latest, greatest or will a flash solve the three stick dilemma I'm having? Sorry for such a long winded post, but I'm trying to be a thorough as possible here. Very best regards and thanks in advance for any insight on this, Doug Joyce animix Productions Durango, CO

[quote name='animix']1. Is there some reason this mobo won't run three XMS CMX512-2700LLPT sticks?[/QUOTE] Maybe. The spec site for that board [URL=http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V8X&langs=09]A7V8X[/URL] says: [QUOTE]3 x DDR DIMM Sockets Max. 3 GB unbuffered *PC3200 /PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC SDRAM Memory (Note: PC3200 Max. to 2 banks only; PC2700 Max. to 4 banks only)[/QUOTE] Talked with Gorganzola about this question for a bit. Now we both seem to recall that each of those sticks are 2 banks per stick, but we may be wrong. I'd try it at PC 2100 just to see if that works, although if XP and the BIOS is seeing it all, then it's probably seeing all of the mem OK. In WinXP Pro ([URL=http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx]Linkage[/URL]), it should be able to see up to 4 GB, of which 2 GB are available (at least according to that article if I'm reading it right). Now in WinXP Home, it may only use up to 1024 MB, ergo the "avail" part. Other programs may use the rest, ergo why it says 1536MB of physical memory installed. What version of WinXP do you have? [QUOTE]2. Would this problem not be encountered if it was a different type of RAM.........Corsair or other brand?[/QUOTE] Nope, WinXP issue (we think). [QUOTE]3. Are XMS CMX512-2700LLPT sticks only designed to operate singly or in pairs? If so, then this would be causing the problem.[/QUOTE] Neither. The chipset determines single / dual channel mode. TwinX pairs are just pre-tested sticks to ensure the best timings when paired together. [QUOTE]4. If the XMS CMX512-2700LLPT sticks are only designed to work singly or in pairs, is there another compatible RAM stick that would work with a pair of Corsair XMS CMX512-2700LLPT sticks in this motherboard so that I can achieve over 1024 MB of RAM with this mobo?[/QUOTE] See previous response. [QUOTE]5. If I can't use three RAM sticks in this mobo, does Corsair (or anyone else) make matched pairs of 1024 MB RAM sticks (of comparable performance) that would work in the ASUS A7V8X mobo?[/QUOTE] See previous responses. [QUOTE]Lastly, I'm having a hard time determining from ASUS' webiste the latest bios revision. I am running rev 1.00.0.21. Is this the latest, greatest or will a flash solve the three stick dilemma I'm having?[/QUOTE] [url]http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V8X[/url] A7V8X BIOS 1014 [QUOTE]Sorry for such a long winded post, but I'm trying to be a thorough as possible here.[/QUOTE] The longer the post, the better the response! :)

As for 1GB sticks to get you up to 2GB, TWINX2048-3200 or: TWINX2048-3200PRO or a pair of: CMX1024-3200 Will do. You will still only be able to run it in DDR333 mode though due to the limitations of the boards chipset. If the CPU you have is a 266MHz FSB chip then PC2100 is all you need anyways, if it is a 333MHz FSB chip then PC2700 is what you need, if it is a 400MHz FSB chip then PC3200 is what you want, but to run 2GB you can't run the memory at DDR400, only if you run 1GB. Starting to think to upgrade the motherboard too?

Archived