Corsair Community

AX850W dreaded whine

sd_dracula

Ok there it seems there so many reports on these forums and on the internet in general about the problems of the AX850 PSU and yet they are still being sold?

Just bought this PSU since my old one was dieing and that whine is driving me crazy. Can't be anything else since this is the only item I have replaced in my system.

The PC is plugged into a surge protection extension cord along with 2 monitors (Syncmaster T240 and LG Flatron L203WT) and a set of Logitech Speakers Z-5500

This extremely annoying noise is only being made when the PC idles or I am just using it for non gaming stuff like browsing, email, etc.

As soon as I enter a game, run prime95, 3dmark it goes away and it stays off until I exit back to desktop.

Of course it is from the SN: R1108B7.. and REV: A1W batch which everyone is having problems with.

I have ordered a replacement from Amazon but I am sure they will send me the same type :(

intentionally going around the filter is not the best way to start a thread. those 2 components are irrelevant to your issue.

How is that post helpful in any way? If people would spend the same amount of time giving helpful answers instead of posting like that forums would become helpful places.

Yes have tried disabling things like C1E, speedstep, new power cable to the socket, new socket, got latest chipset drivers, tried old GPU just in case its them that are causing that.

In safe mode/bios does not do it (only tried it for a few mins) but usually it appears as soon as logging into Windows.

Seems like its CPU load dependent as when ever I run a game or even just prime95 goes away until the CPU is back to idle/desktop work

what kind of monitor do you have? a CRT? that could cause interference after certain drivers are loaded which may be why it does not happen in safe mode.

can you try changing the vid drivers temporarily to standard vga adapter? at least it would rule out the video cards.

Just updated BIOS to latest version 2104 and tried default settings, no change.

Both monitors are LCD, a 24" Samsung and a 20" LG but if it would be that then it would do it when playing games for example.

I will try reinstalling Win 7 just to see if it makes any difference.

Are there any later revisions than A1W which do not have these symptoms?

I don't have SP1 installed anyway.

But I just determined 100% its the AX850 thats causing the problem.

My brother has an AX750 in his Pc and since both are modular I just swapped his AX750 into my system (his is REV: A1W also!)

Result: No noise whatsoever in my system and the noise has moved to the other PC.

A replacement is on the way for my AX850 but I am pretty sure Amazon will send me one from the same batch. So I will get them to swap it for an AX750 if that doesn't fix it.

a large percentage of users mention they have read or tried the sticky advice so if they do not, i ask if they did try the stick first for not only clarification but in the cases where something does either fix the issue or changes it in a way that will help further diagnosing.

a large enough percentage of PSUs are tested at the RMA depot and do not replicate the symptoms they were RMA'd for. so sometimes yes i ask a silly question :):):):

You can always do the RMA directly with us if you like, please use the link ont he left and request an RMA then I would call our customer service and see if they can help you since you just got the PSU.

Hi RAM GUY,

I requested an RMA and have recieved my number RMA #2418338 however the return address is "Corsair Inc. 2252 W. Winton Ave, Hayward, CA, USA 94545"

I live in the UK, is there not a european place I would normally send it to? As that will cost me quite a bit to ship all the way to the USA, that cant be right surely?

Thanks

Archived