Corsair Community

CM2X1024-6400C4 Won't hold @ 4-4-4-12?

Ken429

Ram Guy,

I have an old ASUS P5BDeluxe MB with BIOS Version 1238 running a E5800 CPU and two sticks of CM2X1024-6400C4 Memory. For some reason the system will not boot periodically with the Memory set to 2.1V and 4-4-4-12. It wants the default settings of 1.8V and 5-5-5-18. I have not changed anything in the BIOS from the Defaults except the Memory Voltage and Timings when the problem occurs. I have given away 3 systems each with 4 sticks of Twin2X1024-C400C4 Memory and never had an issue. How I got the CM2X1024-6400C4 is a mystery! Do you have a suggestion on how to get them to run at C4 settings? Is it the fact that the memory is not matched (Twin)? I've probably had this problem since day one but never took the time to try and figure out what was going on. I used this machine for a Home Server and it ran for 2 years without a glitch at C5.

Sorry about the mis-information. These look just like the other 6 pairs I bought several years ago. Just needed to look at the "Purple Side". I removed the two sticks and one side it has: Corsair XMS2 xtreme performance DDR2 memory and the other side has CMX2X1024-6400C4 XMS6404v2.1 along with 4-4-4-12 800mhz 1024MB XMS2-6400 and 011146 and 0649114-0. The second stick says all the same stuff except the spot where the 011146 is reads 012206. Does this give you clue on what is going on? I'm sure I bought these as a matched set.

Ram Guy,

Sorry about the mis-information. These look just like the other 6 pairs I bought several years ago. Just needed to look at the "Purple Side". I removed the two sticks and one side it has: Corsair XMS2 xtreme performance DDR2 memory and the other side has CMX2X1024-6400C4 XMS6404v2.1 along with 4-4-4-12 800mhz 1024MB XMS2-6400 and 011146 and 0649114-0. The second stick says all the same stuff except the spot where the 011146 is reads 012206. Does this give you clue on what is going on? I'm sure I bought these as a matched set.

Do I have a matched set? If so, then do I have failing memory or a MB (ASUS P5BDeluxe) that can't handle C4 memory once every 5th boot or so?

Ram Guy,

Yes it is, go to the eleventh one from the very bottom of the list. Also, I did not mention that I had the same problem with an old P640/P40J processor and an older version of the BIOS installed on this system. So far I have upgraded everything on the system except the MB and the Memory. The system is seems stable when the Memory is running at 5-6-6-15 (Defaults). It ran Window Home Server V1 24-7 for two years at the default settings with without a problem.

• Corsair Employees
What you have posted would suggest it is the MB or BIOS that has some issue, but I have no problem replacing the memory if you like, please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can try replacing them.

Ram Guy,

Thanks for the replacement offer but it works just fine on the C5 timings I'll leave it as is. New MB's are getting real scarce for the 775 cpu's. I was just trying to verify that I had a match set of Dimms. I never got a positive answer on the initial question.

• Corsair Employees
If you purchased two modules that were packaged separately then no they are not matched. The only way to get a matched set of modules would be to purchase a set of modules packaged and sold as one set of 2 or 4 or 6 modules.

Yellowbeard,

That makes sense since it only fails randomly on a reboot. The ASUS P5BDeluxe MB offers very few NB options - Auto (we know that is a problem), 1.25V, 1.45V and 1.65V). Somewhere somebody said that Auto is 1.20V. I currently have it set at 1.25V so we'll see it that helps. I would go to 1.45V but again I saw something that said 1.35V is the Intel recommend maximum. I guess if it fails at 1.25V I'll to to 1.45V?

uto (we know that is a problem), 1.25V, 1.45V and 1.65V). Somewhere somebody said that Auto is 1.20V.

I think you are mistaking some of the voltages . !.65v would be the memory buss voltage. !.2-1.45v would be memory controller voltage.

saw something that said 1.35V is the Intel recommend maximum. I guess if it fails at 1.25V I'll to to 1.45V?

Yes that would be correct with a stock set up, but when you start overclocking memory you may need to go higher with some CPU's to achieve that overclock. In that case 1.45v would be the absolute max voltage you would want to give the memory controller.

Sorry about that, I put the wrong max voltage setting for the NBv - page 4-18 in the MB manual. The setting optons are Auto, 1.25v, 1.35v and 1.55v. I am not trying to OC this thing I just wanted to understand why the memory would not stay at the rated speed. Changing from Auto to 1.25v did the trick. I have been rebooted this thing many times and it has not failed.

Archived