Corsair Community

A7V600 + 2 Sticks 512 CORSAIR VALUESELECT

X_Dogg

Hi there. I am pretty much at a dead end on this issue so I hope you can help me. I also apologize if this compatibility issue has been explained already, but I was not able to locate it if it does exist. First off I have an A7V600 Asus motherboard (Rev 1.xx) with an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ running at 1.8Ghz. The OS is Windows XP Pro (5.01.2300 SP1) and the BIOS is ACPI BIOS Revision 1006. The Memory is as follows CORSAIR ValueSelect VS1GBKIT400C3, 2 sticks of 512. I have one in slot one and on in slot three. The Problem is that my system is very unstable and reboots without warning. I read a couple posts that were similar and set my BIOS settings as were suggested in those posts to see if that would work however it didn't which is why I am posting here now. The Following is my BIOS Settings that have relevance to my memory: *underlined settings are my current settings selected DRAM Voltage = Auto / 2.55V / 2.65V / [U]2.75V[/U] / 2.85V SDRAM CAS Latency = 3.0T(DDR) / [U]2.5T(DDR)[/U] / 2.0T(DDR) / 1.5T(DDR) SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay = 5T / 4T / [U]3T[/U] / 2T SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay = 5T / 4T / [U]3T[/U] / 2T SDRAM Active Precharge Delay = 9T / 8T / [U]7T[/U] / 6T SDRAM IT Command Control = Disabled / Enabled / [U]Auto[/U] SDRAM Bank Interleave = Disabled / 2 Bank / 4 Bank / [U]Auto[/U] DRAM Burst Length 8QW = [U]Disabled[/U] / Auto Thank you in advance for any help. :o:

• Corsair Employees
With this MB you can only run one module at DDR400, I would try and install them in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings to By SPD and set the memory frequency to run the memory at DDR333! If you still have problems please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] Ver 3.0 and let’s make sure one is not failing!

• 5 months later...
Well it has been a while but I am back and still having problems. The first time I posted this and got a reply I tried what the Ram_Guy suggested but did not get any errors at the time how ever I think it was because (looking back) that I was not patient enough and didn't let the memtest 3.0 go long enough or memtest 3.0 didn't catch the errors. So because of this result I began looking into other hardware. To make a long story short..... Through a new hardrive, new ide cables, new software on cds, new power supply, updated motherboard bios, and many strenuous hours of bangin my head against the desk :eek: I have come back to the memory. So I used the ram guys's guide to buying memory and looked for compatibility of my memory described above in my first post and my mother board also described in my first post only now I have the Bios version 1008. In the compatibility of the memory lookup it showed that it was compatible with my board. When I looked up the board first to show compatibilities it also had it there.....however the most commonly used memory (suggested memory) was not what I have. So I then thought maybe I will do another memtest and leave it scanning over night because the resets/problems occurr and different intervals sometimes I can go for hours playing and then a problem reading memory occurrs and sometimes it happens right away. So I go to memtest homepage and find they have a newer version of memtest...Version 3.2. I download and run this version on my computer with the default bios settings and both memory modules in the board and it found over 100 errors within two hours. :bigeyes: I then tried one memory module at a time to see if it was a single module that was bad and both had errors using the default bios settings. I then changed the bios settings to match what was suggested by the ram guy and retried the memory modules seperately and there were still errors found however it took longer and there were fewer errors. So now I am again stuck and thinking that I need to get an rma for these memory modules and possibly upgrading it to the suggested/most commonly used memory that is for my motherboard as shown in the Ram Guy's guide to buying memory......and paying the difference if that is possible but I am sure I probably have to arrange all that with corsair and not the Ram Guy. Any more suggestions Ram Guy before I request an RMA? :confused: Or is anyone else having the same problems with compatibility between these two hardwares I have (mobo and ram)? :o: Thanks in advance

OK Sent the RMA email and will see if the replaced memory does any good.:): I don't have any memory to swap out and test to see if the motherboard may be causing it. I will just wait and see. Thanks for your prompt response. :nodding:

• 2 weeks later...
I got the new modules today!!! WOW THAT WAS FAST SHIPPING!!! It barely got to you Tuesday and here it is waiting for me at home when I get off of work and it is Thursday. Big ups for the great service by the way!!!! :D Ok here we go I did a first test with the modules in slots 1 and 3, with the following BIOS settings: Mem Frequency : 333 Dram Voltage: 2.75V (you suggested 2.7V but there was not a 2.7V) SDRAM : By SPEED and after 50 minutes on the first pass in test # 7 there were 3 errors. Now I was honestly disappointed at this point but I decided to battle on. I changed the DRAM Voltage to 2.65V which was the next one closest to 2.7V suggested) I am still currently running the second pass on these settings and I am happy to report that so far I have not seen any dreadful red......NO ERRORS!!!!! WHOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Could this be the holy grail of BIOS settings for this memory/board configuration?!?!!? I will let it finish the second pass and if no red then I think I will attempt an install of windows and go from there I will then be installing a memory utilizing online game to really test the silicon out of them. If it reboots or BSODS on me I will run this memtest86 till it finds red........then I will jump of a bridge somewhere...lol.... I will keep you posted in any event. Thank you very much again.....

Man oh Man I thought I finally was going to have a great stable system...but then in the 2nd pass in the 7th test, it yet again resulted in three errors as follows: [CODE] Tst Pass Failing Address Good Bad Err-Bits Count Chan --- ---- ----------------------- -------- --------- --------- ----- ---- 7 1 00011930254 - 281.0MB 4bf59899 4bb59899 00400000 1 7 1 000082e0254 - 130.0MB b4edc878 b4adc878 00400000 1 7 1 00030be0254 - 779.0MB ac4cb7ac ac0cb7ac 00400000 1 [/CODE] What to do now.....I mean is memory supposed to fail sometimes??? Is there no such thing as memory that passes the memtest86? Is there seriously a working system with this motherboard/cpu and memory? I haven't stopped the memtes86 yet....right now as I am writing this post on another computer (my daughter's slow dinosaur of a computer) the test is on pass three and just finished test 7 with two more errors as described below: [CODE] Tst Pass Failing Address Good Bad Err-Bits Count Chan --- ---- ----------------------- -------- --------- --------- ----- ---- 7 2 00013080254 - 304.0MB dc7d9847 dc3d9847 00400000 1 7 2 0001ef10254 - 495.0MB a7d55cbc a7955cbc 00400000 1 [/CODE] OK very sad now :(: Is there a known stable set of memory modules I can upgrade too? Please help.......I been having troubles for months now.

OK I let the test continue to run overnight and after 12 hours and 12 passes there were a total of 25 errors counting the 5 I detailed above in a previous post. Just like those detailed ones, the rest of the errors were also in test 7 not to mention that the failing addresses all had 0254 at the end. Don't know if these details help any but when trying to fix things I understand that details shouldn't be left out so I included them. :)

:headbang: :headbang2 Well I finally found the holy grail of BIOS Settings for this motherboard/CPU/and memory. First off if any of you out there are having possible compatibility issues check to make sure that your CPU Bios Settings are set correctly cause that is what happened to my situation. I have an AMD XP 2200+ Thoroughbred and when I let the BIOS auto detect the CPU Vcore it set it as 6.0 which would be fine for a Thornton, but my Thoroughbred needs 6.5. I also found that the Ram By Spd option also auto detected 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 7 but I changed the By SPd to User Defined with the following 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 8 and I let the memtest86 run overnight...and after 9 hours and 8 passes no red to be found on the screen in the form of errors.......I am going to try it with the By SPd auto settings today while I am at work to see if that is stable also...but I do know that I finally do not have errors after all weekend of tests tests and more tests followed by extensive reading and researching then testing some more. Well hope this helps anybody else out there that might have similar symptoms. Thanks Corsair and memory guy.......I couldn't wait till monday though to call phone tech support at the number you gave me one post up plus I work durring your hours of operation.....so I took it on myself and found a solution.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='CandyKid']Good job, glad it works! PLUR CK[/QUOTE] No problems still after that last post..........My machine is sooooo stable it is like heaven........quick load times......everything is purple and pink floating elephants........oh and it works with the 2.5-3-3-7 settings also which is what I have it on currently...HOPE THIS THREAD HELPS AT LEAST ONE MORE PERSON ............ Spread the Love help out your fellow man.

Archived