Corsair Community

Force 3 120GBs Haning In Windows

Capt Proton

Rig is as listed. Got two refurbished Force 3 120GBs last week.. Hooked them up to my Intel controller in RAID 0 and used Acronis True Image to image them with the Operating system (Windows 7 64bit). They worked well fro a week. Yesterday, I move them to ports 1 & 1 (they were on 4 & 5) and did a custom Install of Windows 7 on a 100GB partition. All seemed to be going well until my system crashed out and started to POST. This was due, I think, to a loose power cord. I mention this for info, I am not saying it is the cause of my problems, though it may be.

Let me also state that I already know I have SATA 6GBs drives hooked to a 3 GBs controller.

System started to freeze up, though not totally or all at once. If I am remembering correctly, it was always when I had my browser, Firefox 7.0.1, open and a movie playing in Netflix (therefore Silverlight). Sometimes the video would stop while audio kept going and I was able to bring up task manager and kill firefox. Sometimes Task Manager would freeze and become non responsive. Eventually, everything would freeze and I had to exit using the power button. Finally, the array was corrupted and I couldn't boot.

I imaged a partition on my old hard drive Intel array. It is an image I made of the system recently installed on the SSDs before I started experiencing trouble. This seems to be working fine. I also tried imaging the SSDs with this same image, however, the freezes just started again, more and more frequently.

What should I do? RMA? Secure erase and try the image that is working on my mechanical drives again?

I suggest a secure erase of the SSDs and a clean installation of the OS. That is the only way you are going to eliminate all of the other variables in the instability.

You answered after all!

My very own conclusion. I have already done the secure erase with Magic Part. I shall reimage using Acronis so that I can then use my upgrade version of Windows 7 to install again.

If it doesn't improve this time, I shall be looking for an RMA.

Just to be clear. I have an upgrade version of Windows 7. I plan to do a "Custom" (clean) install over top of the reimaged version of Windows. If I do not have a version of Windows installed, I cannot use my upgrade media.

Then start with a disk install, not a cloned image. You never know if the cloning is correct or not.

Just to be clear. I have an upgrade version of Windows 7. I plan to do a "Custom" (clean) install over top of the reimaged version of Windows. If I do not have a version of Windows installed, I cannot use my upgrade media.

I know it is possible to use only updgrade verision to install Win7.

Try this method:

1) install Win7 from upgrade disk. Don't activate it.

2) install angain Win7 from disk and activated it.

Cheers.

You are restoring from a image that had the problem?

if you use that image then the problem may appear.

As stated in my original post, same image with mechanical hard drives, no issues. With SSDs, freeze ups when running firefox and Netflix (by extension silverlight) freeze ups.

Archived