Corsair Community

tx 650 v2 and Asus m5a78l le

Vanderlei

I just bought a tx 650 v2 and it will not work with Asus motherboard M5A78L LE. A message appears at boot saying "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit". This message showed up the first time I powered on the system, so there was no "previous power on". I have to load default bios settings in order to continue to boot. This is the only way the system boots. After boot everything seems to work fine. It happens at every boot. The strange thing is that the psu works fine with an older Asus M4A785-M mb. The system also works fine with an old Corsair VX 550w. Is there a solution for this problem? MB bios is up to date. Also, is there any other Corsair psu that has been tested and proven to work with M5A78L LE? Thanks for any help.

The anti-surge feature of your board is Enabled by default in the BIOS. That error message is saying anti surge was activated, meaning what, it shut down your PC? The message does not tell you much at all. The boards manual does not describe how that feature works at all.

I suggest you do the following which should be safe, since your PC runs fine with that power supply now. Go into your BIOS and find the Power menu, and in there find "Anti Surge Support", and set it to Disabled. Then save and exit the BIOS, and you should not see that message when you boot then, or later. Remember that whenever you load the default BIOS settings, it will be set to Enabled again.

When you are in the BIOS, check the power supply voltages, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V, and see what they are. If they are close to those values, fine, if not post them here and maybe you'll need to get that PS replaced.

Try turning the PC on and off as you normally would for a few days with that feature disabled. Then when you have time, go into the BIOS and Enable that feature again for a test. You'll just need to see what happens after that. You could also check the ASUS forum for your mother board, and see if anyone else has this problem.

When any PS starts, it can create a very short term voltage spike or surge, and then settles down into a stable voltage. There are standards for how much of a surge that is allowed. The programming for that feature in the BIOS may be to sensitive, or just wrong. It would not be the first time a "feature" on a mother board caused more trouble than good. But it is also possible that the PS has an issue too. Damage from turn on surges is unheard of in PS's, and that feature is of questionable value IMO.

That did the trick! Thank you so much, Parcec!

The voltages are OK: 3,344, 5,040 and 12,011.

Now, just out of curiosity, two technical questions:

Both the PS and the MB seem to have some kind of protection against surges. Wouldn’t that be redundant? Will I be OK if I keep the anti-surge protection disabled in the BIOS (for a while, at least) and let the PS take care of surges? I ask this because in the place where I live (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) we have constant problems with power spikes, with power going out and back on again several times in just a few seconds every time there is a storm, even a mild one. Back in the early PC days I lost several components like MB, HD and fax modems because of that.

The PS has two 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v cables while the MB requires only one of them. Unlike memories, any of these PS 4-pin cables fit in the MB, although only one of them has the corresponding shape. What would happen if I plugged the wrong 4-pin in the MB?

Again, thanks for your help.

Great, glad that worked for you. I have an ASUS board with that feature, but it is Disabled by default and I've never tried it. I think I'll try it and see what happens.

Since your local power has problems sometimes, you'll probably want to have some extra protection. You should have one of those outlet strips that has surge protection and a circuit breaker, to hopefully catch any spikes before they get into your PC. You can try that anti surge feature on your board and see if it will cooperate, but if not just leave it Disabled.

Regarding those four pin EPS cables, either one should be fine, if it fits as you said. The pin assignments of those two connectors is the same, +12V on one side, ground on the other, they aren't complicated. Just be careful not to use a video card power cable with the mother board, they have the power and ground pins reversed compared to an EPS cable. Some people claim they use the video cables on the mother board, but it's not worth taking any chances.

Ok, I will leave the anti-surge feature disabled for a while. I have tried once today to enable it, but it still doesn’t work.

I have an outlet strip that claims it has over power and short circuit protection, but you never know until it happens. Before using a strip, I used a so called “voltage stabilizer”, but discovered recently that it can cause more harm than good (I guess only in Brazil people use that kind of device).

Maybe these problems with new boards will eventually be solved with new BIOS releases.

And thanks for the tip on the 12V connectors.

My video card is attached to the appropriate six pin connector of the PS.

Now I guess we’ll have to wait and see how things unfold.

Thank you for your time in replying.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the asus M5A78L mobo and modular TX650. I got the same anti-surge message and was confused at first since my old 550w Be quiet didnt trigger the message. To make it short I measured all voltages with quality rms meter with oscilloscope. Nothing wrong in the PSU, it's the Asus board which has some weird detection.

What I noticed was Corsairs PSU voltage rise is much faster compared to Be Quiets'. Im assuming the Mobos antisurge chip - or whatever IC feature - doesn't keep up with the voltage rise time and detects it as a surge. I disabled the option in bios and it affected nothing. All I can say is the TX650M is a very good PSU and any failure in system is unlikely to be it's fault.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived