Corsair Community

Is this Corsair SSD brand new?

mambembe

Hi,

I have purchased a Corsair CSSD-V32GB2 for my new HTPC. It was purchased at an online store and the original seal was already broken. :mad:

Because that, I ran SSDLife Free before anything else. Here is the very first screenshot:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2329/ssdtz.png

The "Work time: unsupported" message may mean that the SSD was never used. But I'm wondering why the program has issued the message "Powered on: 8 times" and of course the Data read (7,8 GB) and Data written (4,1 GB) values. :confused:

So I ask you: is this a brand new SSD?

Thanks in advance...

Good question, hard to say. The "Work Time" value could simply be a SMART attribute that your SSD does not support. There are endless SMART attributes and which ones are used by each manufacture and in each model is different, not to mention the data itself may not be consistent and interpreted differently.

So you did not format, create a volume or volume label, or do anything to this SSD? You did say that, just checking. As I recall, the brand new SSDs I've had needed to be Initialized, Formatted, and needed to have a Volume created on them (Windows 7.) Did some or all of that seem to be done on that SSD? It looks like there is nothing on the drive except 100MB used, which is suspiciously the same size as a Windows 7 boot partition.

I'm not certain about the following, but testing of a SSD during it's manufacture may be recorded in the SMART data. So those figures simply are the result of that testing. I can't recall checking my SSDs SMART data when they were new.

Answering these questions may help us evaluate your situation. Your PC specs would be nice too.

Thanks for the answers. My PC specs are now available.

Tell the store it was opened. You bought new, not used. My guess is that it was probably a random sample from the store.

I did it. Let's see what they'll say.

You didnt output your pc spec's, but if that SSD has now OS in it, it migth be why it gets those result's.

As I said, I ran SSDLife Free before anything else. The SSD is just connected, it is not in use.

Good question, hard to say. The "Work Time" value could simply be a SMART attribute that your SSD does not support. There are endless SMART attributes and which ones are used by each manufacture and in each model is different, not to mention the data itself may not be consistent and interpreted differently.

So you did not format, create a volume or volume label, or do anything to this SSD? You did say that, just checking. As I recall, the brand new SSDs I've had needed to be Initialized, Formatted, and needed to have a Volume created on them (Windows 7.) Did some or all of that seem to be done on that SSD? It looks like there is nothing on the drive except 100MB used, which is suspiciously the same size as a Windows 7 boot partition.

I'm not certain about the following, but testing of a SSD during it's manufacture may be recorded in the SMART data. So those figures simply are the result of that testing. I can't recall checking my SSDs SMART data when they were new.

Answering these questions may help us evaluate your situation. Your PC specs would be nice too.

Actually, I had to initialize the SSD in order to check it with SSDLife. It would be impossible to check it otherwise (I have tried.) But I did nothing except formatting.

I'll put a second screenshot - taked minutes ago - that may help you:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9884/ssd3.png

heh, why didnt i see that used space at firsth look :p

I don't want to overreact, and if the SSD is new, I'll keep it (of course I'll never shop again in that store.) But I guess that a simple formatting would not give me those results concerning data written / read.

Check with the store. There may be a perfectly legitimate reason the package was opened. I'm not defending them but it's worth asking.

That's what I did, and I'm waiting their response.

I'm not happy at all about receiving an open box, but I can live with that. On the other hand, I want to know if this SSD was ever used, even for a few hours. That would be a bit over the top.

Look at the screenshots you posted.

Powered on 8 times.

Work time: 6 hours.

Though, Just ask the store. They might have had it as a display unit.

There are two screenshots.

The SSD has been turned on about 6 hours in my system for testing purposes. Nothing fancy here.

The SSD has been powered on 8 times. But not by me. I have powered it just once.

So can anyone confirm that a brand new SSD will show zero's for the SMART values we are discussing, and zero or very small amounts of writes, meaning any testing is not tallied in the SMART data? I can't believe I never checked that on a new SSD.

Well, I had a very strong reason to test this SSD because it was not sealed in its retail package.

I thought it would be easier to get an answer, a technical answer, in this forum.

I have in my hands a supposedly brand new SSD that has been powered on 8 times, while I have powered it on just once. Some gigabytes of data have been written and read from it, while I just initialized and formatted it; no data transfer of any kind. On the other hand, it shows a "work time" compatible with the time I had it powered on in my system. But maybe the work time is reset when the partition is erased, while the other parameters are permanent. Who knows? I certainly don't.

Anyway, I've just assembled my HTPC, and I'm installing the system in the HD instead of using this SSD. My expectations were frustrated and I have received no answer from the store. Therefore, I will just get my money back and wait a bit longer to enter in the wonderful SSD world.

You will never see an SSD from us with "0" as the SMART data. They are tested after assembly. As far as the work time remember 2 things.

1. SMART data on SSD is VERY unreliable. We have a sticky on this.

2. The fact that you show power on times and work time of 0 tells me the drive was tested, and flashed with a new factory firmware.

Return if it you want but your drive seems to be working fine and you still have a warranty. But, I certainly would not RMA a drive based on ANY SMART data.

You will never see an SSD from us with "0" as the SMART data. They are tested after assembly.

I was wondering precisely that. As a matter of fact, that's the first thing I wrote in a thread at a brazilian hardware forum.

But I wonder also that such tests are done in a very strict way, so it would be possibile to know how many "powered on" times depend on them.

As far as the work time remember 2 things.

1. SMART data on SSD is VERY unreliable. We have a sticky on this.

Thanks, I've found it and read it.

2. The fact that you show power on times and work time of 0 tells me the drive was tested, and flashed with a new factory firmware.

On the other hand, the huge amount of data written and read tells me the SSD was used.

Return if it you want but your drive seems to be working fine and you still have a warranty. But, I certainly would not RMA a drive based on ANY SMART data.

Just to make myself clear, I trust Corsair products and the drive is working fine. I just do not like to receive unsealed products, and above all I'm not happy with the lack of an answer from the store. I'll wait until monday night to give them a fair term.

Archived