Corsair Community

Will my CX 600 be able to supply a second GTX 460?

Jon_Shannow

Hello guys , please can you give some professional recommendation ?

So I have my computer equipped with Asus M5A99XEVO , Nvidia GTX 460 and obviously CORSAIR CX 600 and I'm intending to install a second GTX 460 . But the thing that's doubting me is whether the PSU will be able to supply the second card ? As you know it provides two PCI 6-pin cables which are already in use with supplying the primary card.

And there are also four 4-pin peripheral cables coming out from the PSU . I got as well 2 x 6-pin PCI-E power adapters which I received alongside with my current GTX 460 . So I'm asking - if I connect those 4-pin peripheral from PSU to these PCI-E ones from the video card , will the PSU be able to supply the second card?.

But I think it should be able because these adapters from the video card are intended to do this job anyway . But please tell whatever you think and consider for correct . I'm uploading photos of the 4-pin peripheral cables from PSU as well as the PCI-E adapters , to be more precise of what I'm talking about . Thank you !

DSC01157.thumb.JPG.39576a6ca63c9e395107bd80f7def230.JPG

DSC01158.thumb.JPG.e030fcbdd39afc9f716de34c98638704.JPG

It will probably be fine at windows idle or under light loads but you'll probably have a problem while gaming in SLI. A CX600 has a single +12volt rail rated at 40 amps. The minimum +12volt amperage recomendation with a single rail supply for two gtx460's in SLI is 42 amps. See link:

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

Link to Nvidia's Sli-Zone power supply recommendations:

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

I guessed It would be something like that , but I wanted to make sure after all. The only purpose I want to install the second card is hard gaming of course . So I think I shouldn't take risk by setting up SLI connection with this PSU , but go for a new SLI ready one . What do you suggest ?

Be sure to get an answer from an actual tech so when that unit fries youve got yourself covered.

As Garvin stated those 2 cards will draw 2 amps more than what its rated for

and as a budget PSU its rated lower than the rest of Corsairs line.

You might find this an interesting read:

http://www.overclock.net/t/837679/psa-the-corsair-cx-series#post_10897631

Guys I'm not that much into the depth of the matter , but however I think I'm putting the upgrade off for a while cuz I'm budget limited I won't be able to afford a new PSU and second GTX 460 at a single shot . As long as I get the chance to buy them I'll go for the PSU you recommend me today . So please do !

Yawn, I've seen your other thread caughtout and my recommendation in post # 5 still stands. I've actually run gtx460's in SLI with both those supplies without a problem. Though if he would like a bit more headroom, the TX850 and HX850 would be better. I was just considering budget constraints. Fortunately Mr. Shannow is doing a system build and/or system upgrade the proper way--research first. Admittedly I should have been more detailed in what I meant by "problem" when trying to game in SLI without enough power in my previous post. So I will clarify. On any system build where the power requirements of the system exceed 90% of the power supplies rated capacity one may expect to see any of the following eventually (from best case to worst case scenario): system halts and Windows drops to using default VGA drivers at 800x600 resolution, Blue Screen of Death, system hardlocks/freezes, system reboots, system totally shuts down, power supply blows, power supply blows and catches fire, power supply blows catches fire and burns the house down. This is why it is important to follow the "20% at a minimum" rule when it comes to selecting power supplies for any system build/upgrade.

ps: Versions V2 of the above mentioned supplies should work just as well, they're the updated Seasonic based design versions.

Archived