Corsair Community

Considering purchasing HS1 - some questiosn

Nereth

Hi, I am considering buying an HS1 to replace my current headset in the next few days and was hoping for some help answering some concerns that have come up after reading some reviews. Without further ado:

1) Mic quality is perhaps more important than even sound quality for me as I know how frustrating it is for my teammates to have to strain to hear me, or hear buzzing all day. In most of the reviews I've seen for the HS1 there has been a background buzzing from the mic - something that even my cheap 3-4yr old headset does not have. One review however indicated that recent software/driver updates had alleviated this issue. Can anyone comment on this? How likely am I to have mic quality issues? I would rather not go through the RMA dance after buying them for an issue that, according to what I have read, is basically unfixable and related to even a working mic not playing nice with your other hardware.

For the record I am using onboard sound currently, mobo is an ASUS "M4A87TD EVO" a little research indicates that the audio in it is handled by a "VIA1818 High Definition Audio 8-channel CODEC", whatever that means.

2) Most reviews state that computers with dedicated sound cards should go with the HS1A, and that computers with *bad* onboard sound would get a better experience from the HS1. Does anyone know if my onboard sound (Detailed above) counts as "bad"? Would I get better sound quality with the HS1A and onboard, or the HS1 with its own soundcard?

3) More of a comment than a question - although I haven't tried the HS1 in-line controls, I have tried controls similar to the HS1A's, and can't see the 'button press' volume control of the HS1 being as intuitive, rapid, or adjustable as wheel based volume control of the HS1A, or the push button mute being as intuitive as the switch of the HS1A (You have to look at the lights to see if the HS1 is muted, you can quickly feel with your thumb whether the HS1A is). Perhaps at some point an update of the HS1 to HS1A controls would be nice,despite the HS1 perhaps looking better aesthetically.

EDIT: 4) Another thing, reading through these forums it's rather intimidating how many people are reporting issues with this headset. Now, I know 90% of the people on the customer support forums are by default going to be the customers who had issues, so it's a rather absurd filter to be making any conclusions from. Are there actually reliability issues with the HS1, or is this a normal situation for a customer support forum to be in?

I think the VIA chipset on your ASUS MB is about the same as mine. It worked well, and had little noticeable interference. (I disabled mine in the BIOS when I installed the HS1.)

As for the Microphone quality, I cannot find a solution. I wonder about all those review I read before I purchased mine. The results they listed seem impossible unless they did all the testing in a perfectly quiet environment.

But I live in an area with some small noise all the time. This is not well suited for myself. I would not advise it. But it is your call.

I hope that Corsair one day remakes them.

As for the Microphone quality, I cannot find a solution. I wonder about all those review I read before I purchased mine. The results they listed seem impossible unless they did all the testing in a perfectly quiet environment.

This is basically really saddening - I have some fairly specific desires in a headset, and the range I have to choose from is small since my faulty onboard audio requires me to get a USB headset (or buy a dedicated soundcard) - the USB HS1, by some incredible stroke of luck is basically everything, everything I want in a headset - if only I could be satisfied with the mic quality reports I've heard and read.

I really hope this product gets revised at some point because I would love to get one for all the other features!

• Corsair Employees
I have the HS1 Head sets and never had a problem with the MIC, but had to run the Mic Volume control at about 70-80% I was using the Cross hair Iv Formula MB with a AMD 965 for several months; But If I was going to purchase a new head set I would go for the Vengeance 1500 Head set the Mic issue that some have found was addressed with this design

Archived