Corsair Community

How do you update SSD when boot drives are RAID

Makuna

My system already has a RAID boot set of platter drives. I have these new 90GB flash drives I would like to update; but you can't update it you have RAID turned on. Well, I can't boot Windows with RAID turned off!

I don't want to go through the steps of installing Windows on a single drive JUST TO UPDATE THE SSD flash!

Is there a way to update the SSD flash from WinPE? Repair console prompt?

you need to split the drives from the raid array, boot 'hiren's boot cd' using usb stick or a burned disk, choose windows xp live mode (it contains intel rst v9 afaik), run the updater from there. done!

PS: don't forget to recreate the raid array once both drives have latest fw. As always, make a backup of the raid array on some external hdd. Sometime things go wrong! Follow the Acronis tutorial, you can find it in the forums.

• 3 weeks later...
you need to split the drives from the raid array, boot 'hiren's boot cd' using usb stick or a burned disk, choose windows xp live mode (it contains intel rst v9 afaik), run the updater from there. done!

PS: don't forget to recreate the raid array once both drives have latest fw. As always, make a backup of the raid array on some external hdd. Sometime things go wrong! Follow the Acronis tutorial, you can find it in the forums.

Just for future reference, does splitting the array and recreating it destroy all the data? The only way I could update the firmware was to boot into XP Live Mode with BIOS set to IDE, NOT AHCI (otherwise the tool wouldn't even see the drive). It updated quickly and I recreated the array and my data was destroyed. Is this what I have to look forward to every time there is a firmware update?

I will say this though, I've had no more freezing or blue screens since the update. :-))

Firmware upgrade should work, at least it worked for me, using two HDDs in RAID1 and a single Force 3 connected to the same SATA controller which is set to RAID mode. Single drives that are connected to SATA controller runnning RAID mode will run in AHCI mode. No issues with upgrading from 1.2>1.3>1.3.2>1.3.3 in RAID mode.

I think it's worth a try, if you cannot flash firmware, I guess it wouldn't harm your system.

Btw: Repair console (Win 7 32bit) can be used for upgrading, too.

You don't have to break the RAID array per se. Unplug the drives from the RAID controller and plug them into a different SATA controller if you have one, if not then use an external enclosure. As long as you do not write any data to the drive or change the mode on the RAID controller you will not lose the array. After the update plug them back in the way they were before and everything should be fine. Regardless, you should always back up your data when doing stuff like this!

A side note:

Since the boot CD's all have XP, you do need to run this in IDE mode unless you F6 drivers (remember there is no microsoft AHCI in XP), but IDE should be fine as you have noted.

Archived