Corsair Community

Troubleshooting my new system

brasslan

Hello all,

When I fill my motherboard with all 4 sticks of ram, then I'm unable to boot the system while running the RAM at 1866, it always defaults back to 1333.

I have tried manually entering ram speeds and timings, I've tried the Gigabyte DRAM E.O.C.P set to DDR1600, DDR1866, and to Profile 1 and the system does not boot without changing ram speed back to 1333.

Then I wondered if I might have a bad stick of ram. So I pulled two out, and set the BIOS to E.O.C.P Profile 1 and as far as I can tell (more testing needed), the system runs perfectly with only two sticks (at full 1866). I rotated those two out, and put in the other 2 and they worked as well.

Then when I put all 4 in again (without changing anything in the BIOS) again the speed drops back down to 1333.

I'm going to let memtest86+ run for a few hours to see if I can find anything wrong with the memory. Anything else that I can do?

Thanks in advance!

I purchased two matching sets of two sticks of ram to equal 4 matching sticks of 4 GB each to equal 16 GB. Does that mean that I'm mixing two sets if they are identical sets purchased at the same time?

Ram guy, did you mean to say DDR1866? Because when I load setup defaults and then enable XMP Profile one, then that sets the system to DDR1866. And that procedure works well when I only use 2 sticks of RAM. Then when I add the other two, the system tells me that it had trouble with the overclocking and has dropped down to 1333.

P.S. I'm not really trying to overclock anything. I don't mind if you tell me that I have to. But everything that I've read says that the CPU, Motherboard and RAM are all rated for 1866 without OC.

P.P.S. Memtest has reported no errors.

I purchased two matching sets of two sticks of ram to equal 4 matching sticks of 4 GB each to equal 16 GB. Does that mean that I'm mixing two sets if they are identical sets purchased at the same time?

Yes it is considered mixing memory because all of your modules did not come out of one single package. So they were not all tested with each other. In fact the only thing that is matched is the part number. After that they are hugly different.

The fact that memtest shows no error tells me that the RAM is good and your two kits just dont like each other.

This is why you can run either kit at rated speeds but not together.

But everything that I've read says that the CPU, Motherboard and RAM are all rated for 1866 without OC.

Yes,they do support 1866 nativly. So in your case it would not really be overclocking. But you may have to down clock to get both kits to run with each other. This is whay RG suggested trying 1600 first and work your way down. But there is a really good chance that they wont run together no matter what the settings.

Any chance you could return or exchange the two kits you just bought for a matched 16gig kit instead of 2 8's? With the memory controllers being moved to the CPU it is more important than ever to buy matched kits. Not like the old days when you could stick anything in a MB and get it to work.

Well, I guess I will say that I am disappointed and then I'll move on and get over it. I've got a couple more days to fiddle with configurations, and if I don't find any way to make this work as advertised, then I'll just have to return these 2 kits for a single kit of 4 sticks. But the only other ram kits that I can find online that are in a kit of 4 sticks at 1866 without having to pay more (after restocking fee and return shipping of my supposedly mis-matched existing memory) belong to a different manufacturer... oh well. :(:

I can still thank you guys for your help, and ask you to tell memory resellers to better advertise your gear as mis-matched even though it's the exact same stuff, coming off the same assembly line purchased at the same time. And most importantly, that mis-matched kits won't run as fast as it should.

So just for some extra clarification to make sure I'm on the same page as you. Even though all of my hardware is rated for 1866 without OC, and even though I've got a DUAL channel motherboard,,, I still have to buy a QUAD channel memory kit to get my system to run at non overclocked speeds???

I'm still feeling like I'm getting ripped off if I have to pay the restocking fee to send my current ram back.

So just for some extra clarification to make sure I'm on the same page as you. Even though all of my hardware is rated for 1866 without OC, and even though I've got a DUAL channel motherboard,,, I still have to buy a QUAD channel memory kit to get my system to run at non overclocked speeds???

Yes and no. Okay , dual channel and quad channel are functions of the mb and not the memory. This is why you can move memory around in different slots and they register as single, dual, triple, and so on...

But yes, even though your MB and CPU both support 1866mhz nativly it is very important to buy matched kits. Even more important when the memory controller got moved from the MB to the CPU. So as long as you buy a 4 stick kit whether it's a dual channel kit that consists of 4 sticks or a quad channel set that also consists of 4 sticks. Either way they are the same thing essentially.

I've got a couple more days to fiddle with configurations, and if I don't find any way to make this work as advertised,

Corsair can only guarantee rated speeds as long as all sticks have been tested with each other. (all sticks out of one single package) One kit per MB. Even though the two kits you have are the exact same part number, they are hugely different after that. It may take 20 different modules to find two that match to make up lets say a two stick kit. Not to mention they have 9 different IC's and a few different PCB's that can be swapped at any point in the manufacturing process. So there are really a ton of variables to mess with.

But the only other ram kits that I can find online that are in a kit of 4 sticks at 1866 without having to pay more (after restocking fee and return shipping of my supposedly mis-matched existing memory) belong to a different manufacturer... oh well.

Sorry to see you have to go to a different manufacturer, but i do understand the price issue too. Just keep in mind that the rules apply to all manufacturers as far as matching sticks go. It used to be years ago that you could use two different kinds of memory and they would run, all beit at the next lowest speed, but they would run together. Memory and memory controllers have just become more refined and the need for matched components is more important than ever

Thanks penutz for sharing your knowledge here. Do you work for Corsair?

I just finished talking /w newegg and they said they can waive the restocking fee (this time). So now I can get the Corsair brand that I love without having to pay more than what I already have.

No, I don't work for Corsair. It would be nice though. I'm just an enthusiast who likes to help with computers and who really likes Corsair products.

I came here for help myself a little more than a year ago and found myself having fun...so i stayed:p:

Since i no longer work i have to do something to keep busy. Computers are a hobby for me and i really like troubleshooting them. Even though it can be really frustrating at times others it's a good challenge to keep my mind working. :)

Archived