Corsair Community

PSU and Booting problems.

b14ckrose

I have a Corsair HX850w powersupply and a GTX580 gpu, and the problem is that if I have both the 8pin and 6pin power plugged into the video card, the computer won't boot at all. But if I remove only the 8pin and leave the 6pin plugged in, the computer will fully boot, but with no video.

Does anyone have any idea as to whether it could be the PSU or the GPU that is causing the problem? I wish I had another video card that required both 8 pin and 6 pin so I could test but I'm not that rich unfortunately.

The HX850w comes with four auxilary power cables for the Pci-e connections to your video card. Try a different set. If it boots then you know you'll know that you have a problem with the cables or power supply, requiring multimeter tests to narrow down. If it doesn't boot and you've tried all four auxilary connections then I'd guess you'd have a problem with the video card or the motherboard slot. On a side note, the odds that all four auxilary Pci-e connections/cables are bad are extremely slim.

Archived