Corsair Community

Where do I start for firmware needs?

carboncow

Lots to digest in this forum, maybe to much. I have 3 F240 in three different macs and two have run flawlessly for a year. Put the 3rd F240 in my new iMac at work and it bricked two days later.

Everyone on the intertubes is blabbing about firmware updates and proper sata usage but I really don't know where I'm at in my needs. There are several listings in these forums on Force series but my drives have no additional information on them beyound Force Serices F240 2.5" and the part number.

My current working one on this iMac 27" i5 is follows:

Intel 5 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel

Product: 5 Series Chipset

Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Corsair CSSD-V128GB2:

Capacity: 128.04 GB (128,035,676,160 bytes)

Model: Corsair CSSD-V128GB2

Revision: 1.100000

Serial Number: 1038368702FF10210899

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Medium Type: Solid State

TRIM Support: No

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

disk0s1:

Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s1

Content: EFI

System Drive:

Capacity: 127.18 GB (127,175,917,568 bytes)

Available: 27.37 GB (27,372,126,208 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

Content: Apple_HFS

Recovery HD:

Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s3

Content: Apple_Boot

What drive do I have to figure out what fireware I should be running on these?

Did my 3rd unit brick for any reason other then an old fireware on a very new iMac?

When these forums talk about SATA2 only are you talking about the disk or the system I am trying to run on it?

Thanks for your "kind" help. I know there is a lot to learn here but I really don't want to become a major SSD guru at this time. I just want to figure out a solution!

I think your SSD is running on Firmware 1.1.

Is the SSD detected in other computers?.

If not, Submit an RMA.

Thanks for your comments, I have a few more questions if you could assist.

Note we have not pulled the SSD out of the iMac yet (tomorrow) so I'll know then if it will run in a USB case, or not.

1. From what I've read it doesn't sound like there is a firmware upgrade path via Mac, or am I mistaken? (that it requires a windows OS)

2. Has it been documented that the F240 runs well in Apple products with the latest firmware or is the compatibility simply a function of each unique Apple system?

3. There seems to be a high failure rate of SSD with Macs, or is this simply not true and thus lots of bricked or problematic issues on Win OS too?

We are selling my Macbook and thus will have the other great running F240. I'm half tempted to put it in the Mac but don't want to brick another (assuming the first one is bricked). Is the issue with the SSD or running this SSD or firmware on a Mac?

Thanks for your time.

1. Yes, you can only update it on a Windows OS. There may be some other method to update the firmware but it is possible the alternate method may brick the SSD.

2. Sorry no idea, Haven't heard anyone with F240s and Macs. Though if you are not having problems with the SSD then there is no need to update the Firmware.

3. I'm not sure about his one. I may be wrong but i think Mac lacks SSD features that is built in Windows 7 which is TRIM. Although those features may be added in later updates or Operating systems.

1. Yes, you can only update it on a Windows OS. There may be some other method to update the firmware but it is possible the alternate method may brick the SSD.

2. Sorry no idea, Haven't heard anyone with F240s and Macs. Though if you are not having problems with the SSD then there is no need to update the Firmware.

3. I'm not sure about his one. I may be wrong but i think Mac lacks SSD features that is built in Windows 7 which is TRIM. Although those features may be added in later updates or Operating systems.

#2...it does make sense if the F240 is running well in my MacBook then why update the fireware for the iMac...but I'm also guessing system hardware could be different.

#3...you are correct there is no trim support with Macs unless you buy the OEM SSD from Apple, and I"m not even sure if that has been implemented yet!

OK, it's bricked. Put the original platter drive in the iMac and it works great...the F240 will not work in any enclosure on any Win or OSX based OS. It is not recognized by any disc utility. Fun stuff.

So what is the RMA process everyone keeps mentioning on here. Do I have to call a 800 number in china or is the RMA done here on the forums in some way with a support tech?

Great info that I can live with, I like the let sleeping dogs lie approach...but my curiosity is killing me. What most likely did in a perfectly working SSD in a new iMac.

Are iMacs/Corsair an odd relationship, was it the fact I had a sata2 SSD in a new SSD3 system...or most likely just the failure rate/trend with these drives?

Anything with a semiconductor inside it can die at any time. Without dissecting the drive, there is no way to tell.

We'll I do appreciate you taking the time to comment but you are stating something that is pretty obvious! Unless this is the official Corsair statement I'm sure there is some good data our there to say the failure rate is higher or lower then acceptable for the industry...or at the least "they don't do so well in product X"...

I've read a lot of posts and things on the intertubes about people talking about their RMA returns bricking quickly and lots of conjecture that the sandybridge are not to be trusted to much...especially in macs.

As an IT professional I can tell you there are quite a few things with semiconducters in them around our shop! I've had less then a half dozen hard drives out of hundred fail in the last 6 years, 3 dell PC out of 52 with a bad motherboard in 10 years and one 15K rpm SCSI disk out of 5 servers in 10 years. Things fail, I get that but there is usually antidote or good imperative facts to the failure rates from experienced professionals or online tech support experts.

I was hoping from your expertise of seeing hundreds of turds like me complain or inquire about a failed SSD that you might see a trend or suggest...the "no firmware" unless there is a problem is a great suggestion from good experience I suspect.

I just seem to see a lot of people saying their 2nd SSD (not necessarily a Corsair) bricked too. It makes me wonder why.

Thanks again.

I'm sure there is some good data our there to say the failure rate is higher or lower then acceptable for the industry...or at the least "they don't do so well in product X"....

We have no data showing abnormally high failure rates. IF we did, we have measures in place to track that and bring it to the attention of the people that would fix it.

As for "product X", we have no data supporting a statement like that.

Archived