Corsair Community

Soundcard for Vengeance 1300's

fidoO

• 1 month later...

I am a fan of the Creative X-FI series though you'll find plenty of people that love to bash Creative.

Many people these days are perfectly happy with their onboard sound cards, though personally I think they don't know what they are missing. ;):

People wouldn't people satisfied with onboard video cards but when it comes to sound, people seem to take the cheap route. Probably because audio is so subjective in nature.

I've personally been using add-in sound cards since 96, when I was old enough and making enough money to buy my first PC.

Anywho, enough of my rambling. :D:

One thing to take into consideration, is that due to people being satisfied with onboard sound, the industry has kind of taken a nose dive. I can't even remember the last game I played that used EAX.... probably BF 2142.

Also add into the mix that Microsoft dropped directsound from Windows 7 / Vista and the problem gets worse.

There are work arounds in place, such as using Creative ALchemy and running your games in WindowsXP compatibility mode to trick FMOD.

It's just one more thing you have to fiddle with, but I think the results are well worth the effort.

With that being said though, any game that is using OpenAL will still be accelerated through the sound card, and if you're using headphones the benefit of CMSS3D is worth the price of admission. :)

To give you an example of the kind of things you will run into, check out my blog post on enabling hardware accelerated sound in WoW.

http://blog.k1dblitz.com/2010/12/world-of-warcraft-how-to-enable.html

Archived