Corsair Community

using CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 on sabertooth x58 detects only 8GB memory

andruman

Dear Corsair-tech-guys,

a friend of mine bought a new system off my recommendations. i suggested him the sabertooth x58 coz he wants to build a sli system with a little bit of overclocking so i also suggested he should get corsair vengeance DDR3-1600. specifically i suggested him the CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 but he showed me that the CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 where even cheaper on amazon. in the corsair description it says under requirements for dual channel systems which of course the sabertooth x58 is a triple channel board. now he built the computer together and bios tells him theres only 8GB of memory instead of the 12GB he put in. I didnt know that the memory cares what it's used for. i thought heck what does it matter shall he buy this 16GB kit and use only 12GB in triple channel configuration and all will be well. is this memory not capable of being used in a triple channel setup or is it just a bios configuration thing that only 8GB get detected? i just want to confirm that he really got the wrong dimms before i tell him to return them and get a classic certified triple channel kit. thanks in advance

greetings andruman

Archived