Corsair Community

850W TX Enthusiast V2 issues

inevitable7

So I got my power supply today and as soon as I plugged it in, not even powered on, it started emitting a high pitched noise. I read a review on newegg that this happens sometimes so I wasn't too worried about it.

I then plugged it into just the motherboard because I didn't want to risk losing data on my harddrives and turned the computer on. After a minute, I smelled something burning and immediately shut off the power supply. So then I decided to just jump the power supply by connecting the green wire to one of the blacks. More burning smells but the power supply was working.

When the power supply is on, I can't hear the high pitched noise but when it's off, I can hear it.

I decided to plug in my boot drive too this time and the system works but I haven't plugged in my 570 GTX yet, I used the integrated z68 hdmi port. I kept it on for three hours tweaking my overclocks and there's been no trouble thus far. The burning smell eventually went away. Maybe the power supply was just breaking in.

The question is, should I RMA it? It seems like it's about to go with the burning smell and high pitched sound but the power supply seems to work fine. Should I risk it? It would be a shame if it just completely blew up in my face and took my 570 GTX, $200 mobo, and i7-2600k with it.

Again, this power supply is one day old, I got it from Newegg.

Very hard to say what you should do. Have you checked the voltage readings in the UEFI or monitoring software, or a volt meter if available? The burning odor might be temporary, although what would create that much heat in a correctly functioning PS is a good question. Are you sure the odor was not actually a oil, paint or shellac type odor?

When you say you hear the high pitched whine when the PS is on, do you mean when the PC is off but the PS's power switch is on, or when the PS power switch is off? The noise (inductor or capacitor whine) is annoying, but not an indication of a failed component.

Very hard to say what you should do. Have you checked the voltage readings in the UEFI or monitoring software, or a volt meter if available? The burning odor might be temporary, although what would create that much heat in a correctly functioning PS is a good question. Are you sure the odor was not actually a oil, paint or shellac type odor?

When you say you hear the high pitched whine when the PS is on, do you mean when the PC is off but the PS's power switch is on, or when the PS power switch is off? The noise (inductor or capacitor whine) is annoying, but not an indication of a failed component.

voltage readings in the uefi bios and cpuz seem fine, the burning odor worries me and reminds me very much of my EE days back at college but I can't quite put a finger on it. I doubt it's an oil or paint odor.

I can hear the high pitched whine as soon as I plug the power supply into the wall even though it's not connected to the motherboard or anything else. If I flip the switch on the power supply off, I can still hear the whine for like 5 more seconds which leads me to believe its the capacitators in the power supply as the charge dissipates.

Archived