Corsair Community

Force Series GT SSD compatible with SATA 1 chipset VIA VT8237?

Hadakajime

hi all

I have read in the Corsair FAQ that all their SSDs are compatible with the SATA 1 interface, however I'd like to confirm whether they really are compatible with the VIA VT8237 controller. This is a legacy controller, notorious for not recognizing SATA 2 and newer HDDs because it cannot auto-negotiate the interface speed properly. Sometimes this can be remedied by manually setting the HDD to SATA 1 speed, however this doesn't always work.

:idea: Can anyone confirm whether or not Corsair SSDs are compatible with this controller?

SSD such as:

Force Series™ GT 240GB SATA 3 6Gb/s Solid-State Hard Drive

SKU# CSSD-F240GBGT-BK

:!: As a side note, there is still a very high number of legacy MB in use that run this controller, so if the SSDs truly are compatible it would be great news for all the people that (are too lazy to upgrade or) like to tinker around with older hardware. No trolls please.

Regards.

Would I be correct in saying the Force Series GT have the longest lifespan of current Corsair SSDs? If there is a considerable difference, this alone would make it worthwhile in my opinion.

Also, it would future-proof, to a certain extent, for possible future upgrades/rebuilds when necessary. People lazy in upgrading will inevitably need to upgrade at some point :beatchair

It would also make life easier if the disk needs to be accessed in another (newer) system. Tinkerers would greatly appreciate this :):

Would I be correct in saying the Force Series GT have the longest lifespan of current Corsair SSDs? If there is a considerable difference, this alone would make it worthwhile in my opinion...

Hi Hadakajime,

By lifespan do you mean how long this SSD will last, as in PE-Cycles (Program/Erase), or how long Corsair will have the Force Series GT available?

If it is the former, what brings you to that idea or conclusion?

Force GT is MLC, isn't it?

Is it possible to manually set the SATA interface on the drive via a firmware tool (I haven't seen jumpers in any photos), so it won't have to auto-negotiate?

If the onboard SATA controller can't recognize it at all, I see I will have 2 other options:

1. SATA-IDE converter

2. PCI SATA controller

Which do you recommend?

Anyone else with an old board that has VIA VT8237 feel like helping out and testing it in their free time? :D: (you don't have to be a corsair employee)

Force GT is sync NAND, all other Corsair SSDs at this time are asynch NAND.

There is a chart of MTBF in this article I read:

Corsair blog - Force Series lifespan testing

It lists Force GT as having the highest count. What are your thoughts on this?

Regards

The article quoted the Force series MTBF incorrectly. All Force 3 and Force GT drives have a 2,000,000hr MTBF rating.

Archived