Corsair Community

Will it affect the speed if Program files is on another ssd?

Jonell

Hi!

I have f60 ssd and force 3 120gb on my 890gpa-ud3h mobo, i install my windows 7 home premium 64bit on my f60 ssd and i placed my PROGRAM FILES (particularly my games) folder on another ssd which is the force 3 120gb.

Will it affect the processing speed of my pc compared to placing the programs files folder on the same drive where the OS is located?

There should be no performance difference between accessing files on drives where the OS resides or not, assuming that the drives involved are the same or similar in performance, and are connected to the same I/O interface.

Consider that the OS is a program that is (partially) loaded into memory and is running on a PC. The OS does not execute or run on a drive, it is just stored there. When you tell the OS to run a program or access a file that is not a part of the OS that is running (already in memory), that program/file must be retrieved from a drive. The I/O request from the running OS must access the file through the same I/O hardware and software interface regardless of what drive it is stored on.

On a mother board that has more than one I/O hardware interface, ie, different SATA chipsets, and the chipsets perform at differing levels (SATA II vs SATA III for example), then data from drives on the faster I/O interface will be retrieved faster, but that has nothing to do with which drive the OS is stored on.

In your situation, if your mother board has a SATA III interface and you are using an AHCI driver and both SSDs are on the same SATA interface, your Force 3 will be faster than your F60, but that is due to the Force 3 being a SATA III drive, and the F60 a SATA II drive.

Things can change with standard HDDs, where the non-OS HDDs can change into sleep mode, if set to do so, after a period of inactivity. The OS HDD will be awake, while one that is asleep will take a few seconds to wake up, a long time relative to the milliseconds response time of a drive ready to respond.

Archived