Corsair Community

650d watercooled build with no mods

Well, it was time to retire my P180 as I had upgraded my rig to I5-2500k and a HD 5970. My single 120 rad just wouldn't do it anymore. (Would you believe that the single rad kept my OC 2500k at around 70c and OC HD 5850 card around 65c at load?) The first pic is the old P180....what a mess o' cables, eh?

CIMG2374.JPG

CIMG2376.JPG

So I went with the 650d and stuck two rads on it. I have a GTS 280 rad just beneath 2 X-Silent 140mm fans at the top. I had to mount the fans at the top in a "pull" configuration, otherwise the GTS 280 rad would hit the hard drive bay at the top. I had to use 35mm screws which were just a bit too long, so I mounted a small rubber washer as a spacer just under the mesh, between case and fans and then the screw would get through the fan and into the rad with a tight fit against the top mesh.

CIMG2382.JPG

I have an older Swif_tech 120 QP rad on the back with the Corsair 120 fan pushing through it. My loop is pump-cpu-280rad-5970-120rad-reservoir-pump. I have the front 200mm fan hooked to the Asrock MB and set the fan speed to 1 (out of 10) which helps reduce the terrible noise. That yellow thing at the bottom which the pump sits on is a foam cushion to dampen the pump vibration...not real happy with how it looks tho.

CIMG2383.JPG

CIMG2384.JPG

CIMG2385.JPG

Cables are still a bit sloppy in the back, but at least the side panel fit on fine without bulging.

CIMG2386.JPG

CIMG2387.JPG

Asrock supplies an external USB 3.0 header to connect directly to the mb, so that is what I used to hook up the 650d USB 3.0 cables, which are coiled in upper left. Not as elegant as a direct connection to the mb, but hopefully Corsair will come out with a replacement.

Overall, a straight forward build and looks great on the outside. My inside wiring and routing is not as pretty as I had hoped, and the case is not as quiet as I would like. It's really that pesky 200mm fan up front, but I just don't feel like dremeling out the mesh at this point.

Thanks for checking it out and thanks to Faulkton and FanOwater for all their posts and advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Temps...if you're curious

2500k OC at 4.5 at stock voltage and 5970 OC at 850/1150 with voltage 1.162

CPU hits about 55-60c and GPU's about 45c when gaming (BC3 max settings and Skyrim at ultra settings at 1920 x 1200) All silky smooth. And that is with all fans set to minimum speed!

I'm sure I could push it further, maybe when I have some time!

Cheers

Nice work!

You can quiet the stock fan by using a 7 watt resistor in line resistor. SVC.com sells them for $4.

It makes the fan spin about 580 rpm and its really quiet at that speed.

I did drill out the mesh it did help.

One thought - You could move the hard drive cage back a bit and put some spacers between the fan the the grill - that should help.

Enjoy Skyrim - I am!

One comment - it would seem safer to move the reservoir away from the power supply, just in case you spill while filling or it burps duing bleeding.

I spilled on my first wc systems mobo and had to replace it. Was not happy! It was pre recession when stuff was still expensive!

• 2 weeks later...
One comment - it would seem safer to move the reservoir away from the power supply, just in case you spill while filling or it burps duing bleeding.

I spilled on my first wc systems mobo and had to replace it. Was not happy! It was pre recession when stuff was still expensive!

This is exactly why i use nothing but non-conductive fliud. It costs a little more at first, but if you do have a leak it wont cost you a new system.

Archived