Corsair Community

Issues Updating Firmware - F160

spiderxjz82

Right, I've had this drive about 6 months or so now it must be.

It's currently on 1.1 firmware, yet neither 2.0 or 2.4, or any of the alternative packages, 'contain' the right firmware for my drive.

The update tool works, it can see the drive registered as "Corsair CSSD-F160GBP2" and firmware rev 1.1, yet nothing I can find has the right firmware package!?

I understand that may be the case with 2.4 as it's newer, but 2.0 doesn't even have it!? I'd have thought at least that would!

Any solutions to this, I have tried http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=90759 and http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=100449 to no avail.

I still cannot install the firmware (currently on 1.1 I think), after trying everything.

To top it off too - the reason I was trying this is because the drive feels phenominally slow - to the point that I almost didn't notice a difference between it and a normal HDD, after 2 reinstalls of windows, trying the drive in 2 different computers, it's still ridiculously slow! I can't get read speeds of over 180MB/s... this was on an almost empty drive with no windows install, when it had an install on it and also when I was running from the drive itself.

Is there something wrong here? I'm not particularly pleased with the drive and it flat out refuses to update the firmware as well. Would corsair be able to change it for a faster drive for me - I don't even mind paying a bit for an 'upgrade', as the drive has to go back to them anyway as I can't get the firmware sorted on it...

The SandForce update utility is not going to work on the Marvell controller for sure. We are aware of some users having the same difficulty as you and we are working with SandForce to resolve this.

As for your situation, you may want to try the various Intel ports on your board and also try the update on a different machine if you can. And, a secure erase followed either by reimaging your OS or a clean OS install should do wonders for your performance regardless of the firmware version.

Yep, they are both plugged into the Marvell 9128 ports, the two one block in from the left, my Corsair is getting no higher than 180ish, which should be more like 280 if I'm not mistaken, and my 'other' SSD reaches ~420 on sequential.

I understand the Force 160 isn't a SATA 3 drive, but still, it seems low to me?

The SandForce update utility is not going to work on the Marvell controller for sure. We are aware of some users having the same difficulty as you and we are working with SandForce to resolve this.

Ah ok I see, thanks for the heads up, I may just secure erase and grab a different SSD, perhaps a Force 3 or something?

The Marvell controllers are bugged and just not very good on these boards. With your drive, I'd suggest using the Intel ports and you should see much better performance. It may or may not show up in benchmarks but you'll see a difference using it on a better controller. The Marvell controllers typically will not get any SATA 3 SSD anywhere close to their rated specs so changing SSDs may get you little or no overall improvement.

Well I have an X79 board coming next week, with 2x SATA 3 Intel ports and another 4 SATA 2 ones on top of that, so I'm hoping to get things up and running before then. The F160 only runs my OS and my programs, but could you recommend any other decent drives? The Force3?

Thanks

Archived