Corsair Community

PSU noise when PC is off, what is causing it?

WakyEggs

Hi,

I just bought a brand new computer. However the PSU makes a high pitched noise when the PC is off. When I turn the PC on the noise is gone.

The only way to stop the noise is by turning the PSU off with the button on the back of the PSU.

However I also noticed that as soon as I disconnect the PSU connection to the motherboard the noise also stops.

So which part is most likely defective and has to be returned? Motherboard or PSU?

I used to have a laptop, so I cant test the motherboard or PSU with another setup.

Any help very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Edit: Just to be clear, the noise is definitely coming from the PSU. However the motherboard might be causing it as is stated in the FAQ.

Hello,

Although annoying, the high pitched sound is not always an indication of a defective product. Computer power supplies operate using a method which is prone to high frequency resonance. If not properly filtered it can be constant or under different conditions it may be more noticeable.

With the PSU off but connected to the motherboard it will still be powering the motherboard, this is the standby state. The PSU load will be very small and the 5v rail within the PSU is being used.

The PSU is the source of your problem.

:): Unfortunately Corsair are trying very hard to keep people happy by accepting RMAs but only to end up having caused more distress to the customer.

Obviously if you are unhappy with it go ahead but considering it is only occuring when in standby, is it worth the hassle?

The problem with testing a PS before sending it out as a RMA replacement is unless the PS is tested in a PC absolutely identical to yours, the testing won't be valid. That is, the PS is quiet on their different testing PC, but on yours it makes noise, so the effort is a waste of time. Even if the hardware is identical, components are not always the same. For example, CPUs vary in their ability to OC from one to another of the same model, that is well known. So the chance of matching another PC, even with the same parts, is not a given. Other factors like the local AC power, and the environment the PC is in are yet other variables.

I understand your frustration but I'm just trying to offer some insight regarding why testing is an imperfect method in this case.

Archived